authentication token manipulation error

djordje1804

Reaction score
Credits
hey, guys, I am a Kali newbie and a Linux newbie as well.

i`ve tried to make new user using nano command (/etc/passwd, /etc/group),
chown command for giving ownership of /home/user1 folder, etc.

everything was ok on other distributions (xubuntu, etc.) but I have a problem here in Kali
while trying to set a password to that user.

instead of password changes i have an error:
authentication token manipulation error

i see that for the first time.
1) I`ve tried to reboot it,
2) checked root permissions for /etc/shadow file,
3) entered a PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) menu
with pam-auth-update
(tried all options)
4) and finally used "mount -rw -o remount /"

but I still have that problem.

is there anyone who know what else I could try, please?
I really tried everything I`ve found on web before posting this thread.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG20210818220038.jpg
    IMG20210818220038.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG20210819120207.jpg
    IMG20210819120207.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 293

Don't edit those files to create a new user, use the command useradd instead. After you have created the user you can use the command passwd to change the user's password. Remove the lines you have added to /etc/passwd and /etc/group and remove the home directory you manually created and use the two commands I mentioned. So in short like this.
Code:
sudo useradd tux
sudo passwd tux
Lastly start with a different distribution(Ubuntu, Mint, PopOS or another Ubuntu based distribution) as you are new to Linux, Kali is a pen-testing tool-set not meant for desktop use and isn't meant for beginners but for those who can solve their own problems and know how Linux works.

Last edited:
Don't edit those files to create a new user, use the command useradd instead. After you have created the user you can use the command passwd to change the user's password. Remove the lines you have added to /etc/passwd and /etc/group and remove the home directory you manually created and use the two commands I mentioned. So in short like this.
Code:
sudo useradd tux
sudo passwd tux
Lastly start with a different distribution(Ubuntu, Mint, PopOS or another Ubuntu based distribution) as you are new to Linux, Kali is a pen-testing tool-set not meant for desktop use and isn't meant for beginners but for those who can solve their own problems and know how Linux works.

Thank you so much for your answer. I have already installed Mint and I will use it.
I will now practice in Mint now.
Sorry, I couldn`t answer earlier.

Staff online