Auto Save of posts ?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I was under the impression that a 'save' would be taken of a post as it is being typed.

I need to know....what is the time interval here....every 2 minutes?...every 5?...

I dunno the schedule, but it does save drafts. I can't answer that.

You can save drafts manually:

Selection_193.png

It's in the floppy disk icon menu. You can also delete your drafts. I do that when I decide against posting. It's a trivial amount of database space, but I know what it's like to pay hosting bills! ;-)

I dunno the schedule, but it does save drafts. I can't answer that.

You can save drafts manually:

View attachment 8055

It's in the floppy disk icon menu. You can also delete your drafts. I do that when I decide against posting. It's a trivial amount of database space, but I know what it's like to pay hosting bills! ;-)

I was just about to mention this!
Also, when typing - periodically, you'll see a green dot appear on the disk icon. This is when the page has auto-saved a draft! I'm not sure of the exact period, but as @KGIII said, you can also manually save a draft!

I am typing this to hopefully see the green dot mention by jaskinasis

I would not be sure if it is activated by a timing mechanism or a number of words/letters count
While i was setting out a post about timeshift, earlier today, we had a thunderstorm......whci bought about a blackout

The blackout was short lived...around 5 minutes. At that stage I was approx 90 - 95% of the way through the post.....all that really remained was to pop in a couple of links and a few closing words and it was all done.

The post was lengthy......contained a few pics.....and a reasonable amount of effort on my part.

I would have thought by now the green dot that Jas spoke of would have shown itself by now.
Ok....it just blinked on and off. That would be after 5 minutes of typing at my pace.......and quite a few words/letters etc.
I am going to power off my pc.....hard shutdown....and see if the content is still there on my return...

And....it is still here .......which begs the question why was my contenta t the other post still present after restarting after a power down due to blackout ????/......it contained far more material than this.

.....which begs the question why...

Gremlins?

Perhaps @Rob can field this one.

I use that Draft Saving facility frequently, as I start a Post and then sign out of here, and boot into the relevant Distro from my stable to accurately answer the question. Hasn't let me down yet.

I also use it when I have something deep and meaningful to say (stop laughing), ie TL;DR

Wiz

Further to my last post.....that green dot which "lights up".....one would need the eyes of a hawk to see it.

It is not good enough.

A great deal of time and effort is put into posts for the benefit of linux.org, and its members.

An indication of the time or number of characters between saves, would be a good start

I am impressed by @wizardfromoz's use of the draft saving facility. I will experiment with that.

FYI for those interested and/or unaware, that Draft Saving facility also applies to Conversations, where some other board features do not apply.

:)

Members online