AWS Linux newbie requesting help

G

Greg Harry

Hello everyone my name is Greg, and I am pretty new to linux. I apologize in advance if I am posting in the incorrect forum, and if so please just point me to the correct place.

I recently provisioned a free tier linux flavored AWS instance. What I am trying to do is install the following tool on the instance (https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/BacklogTool).

Some background information here, after reading multiple tutorials, and just trying to grasp the basics, I have been able to or believe I have successfully used the wget command to get the installer for Tomcat 7 installed on the instance, and extract the package, I have also successfully used wget to download the "backlogtool.war" file. I have been unable to get the PostgreSQL downloaded.

The main question here is I have no clue how to put all this together, having all the required components on the instance is a far cry from actually getting the backlog tool to run. What would be the best process for me to put all of this together, is there some material I should reference as the end goal here is to be competent in what I am performing and not just "getting the answer".

If more information is needed which I am sure is likely, please let me know. I am more than willing to do the legwork to understand this I am just not sure of what direction to go.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

How did you try to download PostgreSQL? I would try one of these installers:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload
If that does not work, the source code is probably the only other option. Honestly I have not spent much time with AWS.

Are you using the RHEL version? (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) That would make things so much easier. Also, trying to build and install this on a NORMAL Linux distribution on your computer is a good idea.

Ryanvade,

Many thanks for taking the time out to respond. After initially posting I actually dived back into the forums and performed a few additional google searches and it turns out I wasn't using RHEL which I believe is what caused me so many issues. I did start from scratch and provisioned a RHEL instance and leveraged yum, and believe I am back on the right track here.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ryanvade,

Many thanks for taking the time out to respond. After initially posting I actually dived back into the forums and performed a few additional google searches and it turns out I wasn't using RHEL which I believe is what caused me so many issues. I did start from scratch and provisioned a RHEL instance and leveraged yum, and believe I am back on the right track here.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Your welcome. Please keep us up to date, I am very curious about AWS. ;)

Members online