Baaaad News for Linux

Fixrite

Reaction score
Credits
It seems that GoDaddy the domain name giant (far and away the most used domain name registrar) has started to charge $107.88 for their "Linux Plan". o_O
The back-story from my end is that, I have been using them for years as my domain name registrar. Up to now I have been too busy to do anything with the domain. However, GoDaddy offered free email with the domain and I have been using it for several years. Now, they are discontinuing the "free" email. So, I would like to set up a server on chromebook. Have the bash terminal, and since I used to program years ago the DOS-like component seems straight forward. Wondering about which distro to use I called GoDaddy to ask them what they recommend. (This used to be a fruitful course of action.)
Back to GoDaddy - as I said I have been a client of theirs for years and have always been impressed by the level of knowledge, and consideration their employees exhibited. Sadly, they are on a downward spiral. The person I spoke to told me that I didn't have a "Linux Plan" with them, otherwise they would set up a linux based email server for me. I was asking for a distro recommendation, and they tried to sell me a plan instead. It is so sad when companies become so big that they start seeing competence and honest help as expendable.

Hmmm, I think the title of this post is a little misleading.
This is not baaaad news for linux at all.

Baaaad news for you and other GoDaddy customers who would like to use Linux perhaps?! But not baaaad news for Linux as a whole! :D

Sounds like the growth of the company has meant that some of their sales people are probably non-techy, sales-only types. As soon as you mentioned Linux - they would have just referred to their script and probably completely misunderstood you. Plus they're probably working on commission - so naturally would have tried to get you to sign up to a plan with them!

So are you still looking for distro recommendations for your Chromebook?

I settled on Debian for all of my PC's a number of years ago. So I haven't done any distro hopping for a long time. But there are a number of other users here who'll probably have a few suggestions!

should be have a "users" rating of hosting and maybe even of buying domain names; since you can't believe any of the reviews

If you don't think "the law of diminishing returns" makes this bad news for Linux -- wait. There are already more distros than anyone knows what to do with. The old saying, "too many cooks..." might apply, although I certainly wouldn't want to lose the open source aspect of Linux.
This is Canada, so prices are always somewhat higher than in the US. I've already paid them over $80 for the domain name registration till Feb 2021. Keep in mind, that they were initially selling those for less than $5 a year for a few years, then it jumped to $70 something. I stayed with them, partly because of the email and partly because they were always so knowledgeable and helpful when I called. ...I think people like that deserve our support. They have changed.
Anyway, I'm having so much trouble with the penguin (sandboxed?) version on my chromebook, that I think I'll just go ahead and load linux via the ,iso file and forget chromeos for now. I still don"t know which version to load so that I can get all the functionality I need. Is there a flowchart somewhere of the various linux versions, what they do and how they relate to each other?

I've already paid them over $80 for the domain name registration till Feb 2021. Keep in mind, that they were initially selling those for less than $5 a year for a few years, then it jumped to $70 something.

Hey there Fixrite - you're paying for something other than regular domain registration.. is it a normal .com/.net/.org? The average yearly on those are between $10-15/yr.. some of the other gTLDs can get expensive, but those generally don't start at $5/yr.

If you don't think "the law of diminishing returns" makes this bad news for Linux -- wait. There are already more distros than anyone knows what to do with. The old saying, "too many cooks..." might apply, although I certainly wouldn't want to lose the open source aspect of Linux.
This is Canada, so prices are always somewhat higher than in the US. I've already paid them over $80 for the domain name registration till Feb 2021. Keep in mind, that they were initially selling those for less than $5 a year for a few years, then it jumped to $70 something. I stayed with them, partly because of the email and partly because they were always so knowledgeable and helpful when I called. ...I think people like that deserve our support. They have changed.
Anyway, I'm having so much trouble with the penguin (sandboxed?) version on my chromebook, that I think I'll just go ahead and load linux via the ,iso file and forget chromeos for now. I still don"t know which version to load so that I can get all the functionality I need. Is there a flowchart somewhere of the various linux versions, what they do and how they relate to each other?
Give Debian a spin on your chromebook-

Re: GoDaddy, I have paid them an extra $59.88 to keep my mailbox operative for the next year. I can see that Linux is going to take some time and like everyone else, I'm kind of overextended. Hopefully, by next year I will have my own email server set up at home.
Re: Linux, I think I have already inadvertently installed Arch on my chromebook - right into chrosh. So, I think I am using Chromeos as a linux kernel. Since Chrome is apparently built on a GNU/Linux based system that might make sense. I think it is Arch that I loaded because I have pacman.

Attachments

• pacman-chart[1].jpg
    pacman-chart[1].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 316

Members online