Backup in small business

Danyy

Reaction score
Credits
Suppose you are the administrator of a small company of 6-10 people, you need to back up data from all computers and 1 server. How should rule 3-2-1 follow such a backup, what program to use and how to manage backups.

I am just a student learning the basics of Linux administration exactly ubuntu 20.04

edit1 is not a task from the handbook, I know it may sound like this :) I just presented a situation in which I may find myself in the future and I have no experience,

Not to burst a whole in your bubble but a person with no sysadmin experience(aka junior) shouldn't be responsible for the IT of a company(not even a small one). It should be a senior sysadmin, as in this person will have experience with different products already when it comes to managing the servers including backups and won't need to ask how to do their job on a forum. Since it comes over highly unprofessional to ask on a forum how to do your job or what products to use for your job.

Also in bigger companies the IT departments is divided into different teams, the workstation team being a a different team than the server admins, backup team,(and so on) because different specializations require different areas of expertise. Depending on your requirements either an opensource solution may do or a closed sourced enterprise solution may be right for the job. Also a search using your favorite search engine should get you somewhere.

Last edited:
What OS are the workstations running? Are they using a shared drive that wants to be backed up or you're looking to back up everything on each?
Windows10, rather, I was thinking about a shared drive.

You're asking for a backup solution for Windows computers on linux.org?

That's a bit strange. There are backup devices that run Linux, like NAS devices, but the backups would be push for stuff like that. You shouldn't really need to worry about the software running the NAS.

You're asking for a backup solution for Windows computers on linux.org?

That's a bit strange. There are backup devices that run Linux, like NAS devices, but the backups would be push for stuff like that. You shouldn't really need to worry about the software running the NAS.
yup I didn't actually think it up .

Not to burst a whole in your bubble but a person with no sysadmin experience(aka junior) shouldn't be responsible for the IT of a company(not even a small one). It should be a senior sysadmin, as in this person will have experience with different products already when it comes to managing the servers including backups and won't need to ask how to do their job on a forum. Since it comes over highly unprofessional to ask on a forum how to do your job or what products to use for your job.

Also in bigger companies the IT departments is divided into different teams, the workstation team being a a different team than the server admins, backup team,(and so on) because different specializations require different areas of expertise. Depending on your requirements either an opensource solution may do or a closed sourced enterprise solution may be right for the job. Also a search using your favorite search engine should get you somewhere.

You're right, thanks a lot for your help :)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts