Backup Methods

SlowCoder

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
The whole of my data (less than 1TB) exists on a local file server. As often as I desire, typically about once a month, I run backups.
I have two 2TB USB HDDs. I built a rsync script that manages incremental backups to these drives. I alternate the drives each month, so that each drive has about 6 backups, spaced about 2 months apart. The oldest after 6 backups is rotated out to recover space and inodes. This gives me about a year's worth of incremental backups.

I haven't had to actually recover anything in quite a few years. Murphy's Law of Backups: keep backups, and never have a drive failure. Miss one backup of important data, and your file servers will have a meltdown.

The only issue I have is that I don't have a convenient off-site location to transport drives to on a regular basis. And I refuse to pay to have my data stored in the cloud.

What methods do you use? Do you keep local backups, off-site, or cloud backups ... or do you like to live dangerously? Do you do full backups each time, or incremental?

timeshift, deja-dup, pika. along with apt-clone. all stored on separate sdcards or flash drives.
plus i copy my entire system to an sd card weekly.

I regularly save my important documents and pictures to a USB drive, I also run timeshift on my main machines

Members online