Backup question

AMFA

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, as I work and learn new things with Llinux I have been reading and started using Arch. It took me some trial and error I was however able to get it installed. I then installed xorg, awesome, lightdm, anyway I been working in a VM until I am able to confidently understand what I am doing and then replicate it on a Dell laptop. My question is how do you guys back something up. Like is it possible to back my entire system up say onto a USB so I could reinstall everything from the USB I am probably not correct here but like an ISO that when installed would take me to exactly where I am at currently. Now I am to the point where I dont want to do it in the VM and just work on my hardware but am concerned that if I break something and cant fix it, I would have to start from ground zero. I am documenting along the way what I do so I could do that (and would learn more along the way) but trying to have some kind of safety net.

Thanks guys, Linux is so awesome, I just wish I was not such a noob with it.

Alan

You can use timeshift and create a snapshot of your system to an external device or you can use dd or other system cloning tools to clone your system to an external device.

In addition to backing up your system, you may want to back up your user files separately.

My setup is always to exclude /home in system backups (e.g.: with timeshift) and use duplicity for home folders. You can have separate external drives (or network drives) for those two purposes.

The reason is that, usually, /home is by far the largest directory, and excluding it from the snapshots make them smaller and quicker to be taken.

In addition to backing up your system, you may want to back up your user files separately.

My setup is always to exclude /home in system backups (e.g.: with timeshift) and use duplicity for home folders. You can have separate external drives (or network drives) for those two purposes.

The reason is that, usually, /home is by far the largest directory, and excluding it from the snapshots make them smaller and quicker to be taken.
Thank you that makes sense, I appreciate your reply and your help. Wishing you Happy Holiday Season sir thanks again

Members online