Backup software

Very good suggestion, all!

@KGIII --I once had over 5GB of hi-res MP3s on a WD Green 3.5" hdd in external case-- it failed after almost 4 years in storage. Lost it all but a few CDs with selections. Nowadays, I would go with flac.

External hard drive to stash somewhere -- yes, did that for a while. My method of choice, but now I need a grounded faraday bag to keep it safe!

LOL! Thanks!

I use Timeshift for my BTRFS root partition, grub-btrfs to make snapshots available for selection to boot into from within GRUB, and a hook for pacman (Arch Linux's package manager) that automatically creates a snapshot every time pacman is executed.

I have to say this, since I mention it on every forum I belong to.

You can't get simpler than Puppy's set-up. ALL configuration/settings changes are made to a single location.....the save-file/save-folder. This is layered into Puppy through the union file-system she uses at boot. All other files are strictly read-only.

The initrd.gz sets up a virtual filesystem in RAM at boot. The contents of the read-only files are copied to this, utilising their various layers.....and the 'save' is layered in amongst them. To the end-user, it looks like one complete, contiguous system.

All that's needed with the 'save' is a simple copy/paste operation. Nothing more complex than that. And such a simple operation is a piece of cake to set-up a cron job on.

Mike. ;)

Take a look at timeshift... it works really well if you use btfs, this is what I use as a backup of my fedora install. I also tested restores from snapshots, and it works great. With timeshift, you set a schedule and forget it. In the background, it will run when scheduled.
English is my second but principal language but I sometimes have trouble with the prepositions. When the
Take a look at timeshift... it works really well if you use btfs, this is what I use as a backup of my fedora install. I also tested restores from snapshots, and it works great. With timeshift, you set a schedule and forget it. In the background, it will run when scheduled
Take a look at timeshift... it works really well if you use btfs, this is what I use as a backup of my fedora install. I also tested restores from snapshots, and it works great. With timeshift, you set a schedule and forget it. In the background, it will run when scheduled.
I also copy&paste music...videos...pics and documents to an external HDD as well as create a snapshot with Timeshift and an image with Foxclone because you never know what might happen.
scared0002.gif

Some time ago I had a portable HDD fail without warning
sad0015.gif
that's why I have two portable 2TB HDDs...I create an image on one and copy&paste it to the other...just to be safe.
happy0034.gif

I liked what I read regarding timeshift and btrfs. I shrunk a data drive and formatted 100GB into btrfs. But do I need to have Ubuntu on btrfs to have timeshift work with it? Do I have to clone my Ubuntu volume and clone it back after changing the original location to btrfs?

Also how do I lock this thread as solved when we are done?

Hi there, I would like to share about the backup system.
Basic, an REAL backup have a mission, that mission have concept basic but sometimes is difficult to really do that efficient.
So, the ideia of the BEST backup ever would be that:
A software who scan you files, list all of then, make a perfect copy, save in other place where the owner can access by security stuffs, close that big copy process in put there a date when that was create, after close that file can not be replace for a while, next day or next period choosen by the owner need to repeat all that process and do not write up of that files, it needs to have another date, close a new file (ok Ricardo, but it will make duplicate the files saved, YES, that is it we NEED, better if the first copy are saved in a place different of the second copy, different way to access too, that should be more security), we need duplicate, triplicated, because with some ransomware got those files so fast there is a good chance to backup the files encripted and, if that happen, alal the bakcup system failed! To improve that, the backup system can not be so fast as GDrive is (for example) and have to understand what type of files are saving, with there are lots of convertions of type of files for an one format (unique .something), the backup should stop and alert the owner of those files, because, maybe the ransomware worked well and you will lost all your files.
So, that is the ideia I would like to share and if the Linux system have that programmed or you guys could write that program and sell that.

Members online