Baffled about Q4OS wifi

4aDummy

Reaction score
Credits
I ran a live usb of Q4OS and liked it so i installed it. I cant find a setting that detects my wireless choices at all. I had to connect to my cell phone hotspot to get internet and of course it was "dial up" slow. As I speak I am on Kubuntu (like it!) which i am running along side windows 10. I had no problems with wireless detections on kubuntu. I have downloaded the Intel driver for my ax200 wifi 6 card - iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode - (i have the install cd but it is for windows only) and cant for the life of me figure out how to get it working.
my Q4OS info kde plasma version 5.14.5
kde framework version 5.54.0
kernal version 4.19.0-17-amd64 any ideas/help?

I haven't use Q4OS lately but if I remember right you will have to have an alternate internet connection to install the drivers/firmware needed to detect and use your intel wifi card. Q4os is base on Debian which does not install any proprietary drivers at all. Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu which does supply at least the needed intel drivers for your card and that is why it works in Kubuntu. Most distros based on Ubuntu will have those drivers installed. You can look here and see what would be needed to install them on an install of debian Which should be close to Q4os also. Good luck.

sorry insufficient information we need to know what the wi-fi is.. open a terminal put in inxi -Fnx and enter, scroll down to Network then copy and paste that whole section here.

sorry insufficient information we need to know what the wi-fi is.. open a terminal put in inxi -Fnx and enter, scroll down to Network then copy and paste that whole section here.
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 09:00.0
IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: a8:a1:59:2f:52:79
Device-2: Intel driver: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 0a:00.0
IF-ID-1: bnep0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A
mac:

System:
Host: 4Adummy Kernel: 4.19.0-17-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5
Distro: Q4OS 3.15.2-n1 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B550 Pro4
serial: M80-D5021400690 UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.10
date: 06/09/2020
Battery:
Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech K800
charge: 70% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
Device-2: hidpp_battery_1
model: Logitech Wireless Mouse MX Master 3
charge: 100% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Zen L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 86240
Speed: 2193 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2189
2: 2188 3: 2194 4: 2196 5: 2197 6: 2194 7: 2195 8: 2197 9: 2195
10: 2198 11: 2197 12: 2194
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 0b:00.0
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.27.0
4.19.0-17-amd64 LLVM 7.0.1)
v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Creative Labs CA0108/CA10300 [Sound Blaster Audigy
Series]
driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.0
Device-2: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 /
570/580/590]
vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 0b:00.1
Device-3: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASRock
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0d:00.4
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-17-amd64
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 09:00.0
IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: a8:a1:59:2f:52:79
Device-2: Intel driver: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 0a:00.0
IF-ID-1: bnep0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A
mac: a8:7e:ea:ea:f2:9e
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 2.73 TiB used: 6.19 GiB (0.2%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB size: 931.51 GiB
ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 960 EVO 500GB
size: 465.76 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-22MFCA0
size: 931.51 GiB temp: 30 C
ID-4: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST31000333AS
size: 931.51 GiB temp: 35 C
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 440.28 GiB used: 6.19 GiB (1.4%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/nvme1n1p2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.15 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap
dev: /dev/nvme1n1p3
Sensors:
Info:
Processes: 262 Uptime: 3m Memory: 15.59 GiB used: 1.22 GiB (7.8%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash
v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.32

see it right away, its has the wrong wi-fi drivers [your not the only one, see this thread https://www.linux.org/threads/fresh...o-wifi-adapter-found.36471/page-2#post-134410
Yes. I could be wrong but I think its been right in front of me the whole time. The kernal in Q4OS is 4.19 and when I go to Intels web site for the Linux drivers my AX200 wifi card need at least 5.4 or something like that. My wifi card isnt supported in Q4OS. Bummer. I must say though that the work and research on this just to get internet up and running has been rather discouraging as a newbie to Linux. I ordered a 50ft cat 6e to run across part of the house to see if a hard line will get it fixed but I really dont think so. I hotspotted my cell to get online and it still has no wifi or even a application that tries to detect it. I just may try a live stream (i think) install of the latest stable Debian tonite and wait for another time for Q4OS. I commend you guys for being so helpful and I certainly do appreciate it.

Bad luck there @4aDummy :(, but there are plenty more fish in the sea where Linux is concerned. You just need to establish that the wifi works in the Live environment and then it should work post-install.

@brickwizard , mate, better is to include a "z" in your inxi commands, that filters out the user's MAC address/es - we don't need them and it can be a privacy issue.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Sorry Q4os won't work well for you. But as others have said there are plenty more distros in the mix you mentioned Kubuntu and that is a good one if you like KDE desktop. But you may want to try several on live usbs see which one works with your hardware and which one meets your particular computing needs. Good luck.

Your Wifi firmware is - iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
You can grab the firmware from here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...inux-firmware.git/tree/iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
You have to download the blob - you will see a line -
blob: 006cec4323be3e910075b39852b36481bb8c80b0 (plain)
Click on the (plain) link and save the file in Download - now open a terminal inside that folder and type in
Code:
sudo cp iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode /lib/firmware
once copied reboot - now check your WiFi again
or you can open Dolphin file manager as root and copy it to the folder
Code:
pkexec dolphin

That kernel 4.19 is missing the firmware this will add it

Last edited by a moderator:
@4aDummy , there is also this from here

https://www.q4os.org/blog.html

which includes

Q4OS 4.4 Gemini, testing
01 April, 2021
Now that Debian Linux 11.0 Bullseye is frozen, it won't be long until the final release is announced, so Q4OS 4 Gemini testing branch is approaching the final contours too. The new Q4OS Gemini 4.4 release features Linux kernel 5.10 and Plasma desktop environment 5.20 by default. Trinity desktop environment version 14.0.10 is ready for installation using the Desktop profiler tool. Debian Bullseye packages has been received in their latest versions,...

Now that was Testing in April, so the Stable should be available very soon, I would expect.

Cheers, Friday here in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Your Wifi firmware is - iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
You can grab the firmware from here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...inux-firmware.git/tree/iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
You have to download the blob - you will see a line -
blob: 006cec4323be3e910075b39852b36481bb8c80b0 (plain)
Click on the (plain) link and save the file in Download - now open a terminal inside that folder and type in
Code:
sudo cp iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode /lib/firmware
once copied reboot - now check your WiFi again
or you can open Dolphin file manager as root and copy it to the folder
Code:
pkexec dolphin

That kernel 4.19 is missing the firmware this will add it
That is the firmware I had downloaded from Intels sight but couldnt copy it anywhere. Permission denied. I never read anything about a blob. I had the same problem trying to install Debian 11.0 The Debian installer said I was missing a list of wifi firmwares like and including -46.ucode and asked if I wanted to install them from a file. How would I do that?

Manjaro booted right up w wifi.

That is the firmware I had downloaded from Intels sight but couldnt copy it anywhere. Permission denied. I never read anything about a blob. I had the same problem trying to install Debian 11.0 The Debian installer said I was missing a list of wifi firmwares like and including -46.ucode and asked if I wanted to install them from a file. How would I do that?

Manjaro booted right up w wifi.
Permission is denied because you need to be in root - use sudo to copy the file or open Dolphin file manager in root - if Q4OS is installed with Plasma desktop it uses Dolphin as it's file manager open it as root in the terminal run
Code:
pkexec dolphin
once Dolphin opens it will be in root then copy it to /lib/firmware

You can add "Open as Root" to the Right Click
How to install:
- Dolphin -> Preferences -> Services -> Download New Services...
...or
- move the downloaded open_as_root.desktop file to ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus (create the folder if it's missing) It will pop up under the Actions menu

Hate to be a PITA again, Your Lordship but that does not work with this version of Q4OS

Code:
chris@BusterQ4OS-KDE-HDD:~$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: BusterQ4OS-KDE-HDD Kernel: 4.19.0-17-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5 Distro: Q4OS 3.15.2-n1

The command

Code:
pkexec dolphin

generates a popup window for your password, but entering it generates no result.

The download New Services option provides two (2) addons for being able to Open as Root but neither works.

My solution for this with this version of Q4OS is to add Nemo File Manager

Code:
sudo apt install nemo

and use its Open as Root option.

Wiz

In Dolphin you are asked for your password if you are trying to preform a root action. Thus if you try to copy a file that needs root privilege with Dolphin it should ask you for your password. Now I'm not sure this translates into Q4os/Debian because they use a much older version of Plasma/kde.
Unless there is a compelling reason for needing Q4OS I would suggest that the OP use a different distro. At least until he/she is totally familiar with Linux.

Hate to be a PITA again, Your Lordship but that does not work with this version of Q4OS

Code:
chris@BusterQ4OS-KDE-HDD:~$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: BusterQ4OS-KDE-HDD Kernel: 4.19.0-17-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5 Distro: Q4OS 3.15.2-n1

The command

Code:
pkexec dolphin

generates a popup window for your password, but entering it generates no result.

The download New Services option provides two (2) addons for being able to Open as Root but neither works.

My solution for this with this version of Q4OS is to add Nemo File Manager

Code:
sudo apt install nemo

and use its Open as Root option.

Wiz

Hmm That is Interesting try this
Wonder if you get into the grub at startup - then recovery - then get into root that way and then copy the file from a thumb drive into /lib/firmware
or use "sudo su" since root is a user
Code:
sudo su dolphin

In Dolphin you are asked for your password if you are trying to preform a root action. Thus if you try to copy a file that needs root privilege with Dolphin it should ask you for your password. Now I'm not sure this translates into Q4os/Debian because they use a much older version of Plasma/kde.
Unless there is a compelling reason for needing Q4OS I would suggest that the OP use a different distro. At least until he/she is totally familiar with Linux.
You are absolutely right, and I did. I went with Manjaro. Debian 10 works fine and has a wifi step in setup that works fine. Debian 11 is not there yet.

I received an odd piece of hardware - it looks like a micro pc but there are no identifying model numbers on it except a BIOS splash screen that says "bluesky outsourcing ltd." I was able to install Q4OS without issue but can't seem to get the wifi working.
I am attaching the inxi -fnx screenshot in hope that one of the experts here can direct me in the right direction.

Attachments

• bluesky.jpg
    bluesky.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 140

Members online