Balena Etcher Won't Launch SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
After downloading balenaEtcher to my Downloads directory and extracting it the program won't launch.

I've tried double clicking on it and it won't run.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have been having a bugger of a day, Alex. :)

Is it v1.5.122 , that is, the latest from their site?

And

Are you on Debian Bullseye, Zorin or other?

Wiz
BTW how long to bedtime?

Might have just missed you, you were online when I started typing, now not. ... and you're back again?

I am waiting on some updates to finish on Zorin 15, then I'll see what I can find.

Wiz

Sounds like you have been having a bugger of a day, Alex. :)

Is it v1.5.122 , that is, the latest from their site?

And

Are you on Debian Bullseye, Zorin or other?

Wiz
BTW how long to bedtime?
Yeah I'm having a tough day with Voyager 11 Debian my fresh install but someone is helping me trying to get the WiFi working.

Anyway:
Yes it's 5.122 and I'm on Debian 10 Buster Gnome.

Closest I have is a Buster Xfce, currently. I can swing in there in about 20 - 30 minutes.

Closest I have is a Buster Xfce, currently. I can swing in there in about 20 - 30 minutes.
Ok
The funny thing is balenaEtcher is sitting in my Downloads directory however; the terminal can't find it.
Screenshot from 2021-09-05 22-17-34.png

Reboot ?

Trying to follow this tutorial:

sudo mv balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage /opt
[sudo] password for cora:
@debian:~/Downloads$ /opt/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
[6088:0905/222206.566600:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_balenaGPQI88/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
/tmp/.mount_balenaGPQI88/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 6088 Trace/breakpoint trap "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@"
@debian:~/Downloads$

For when you wake up, I have some progress :)

It appears to be a Policy Kit issue with Debian. I have a workaround that you can apply and I am putting together a longer term solution.

I'll stitch it all together while you are catching zzz's ;)

Wiz

According to your picture it is a AppImage it does not install Right click on the AppImage and select Properties - then permissions then put a check mark in Allow Executing file as a Program and make sure owner has read write privileges

Not as simple as that, Your Lordship :)

Etcher, when downloaded as a Zip and extracted, already has the executable attribute set, and ownership to the User.

Q9sZCHy.png

So under usual circumstances, you should be able to double-click the appimage in your File Manager to have it launch.

That applies to Expirion and other Ubuntu-based distros such as Mint, but it does not work for Debian.

It is a policy issue, as I noted above.

I will be back to explain.

Cheers

Wizard

This, from my Debian 10 'Buster" Xfce environment

Code:
chris@Buster-Xfce-HDD:~$ /home/chris/Downloads/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
[5907:0906/171948.546706:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_balenaZqhto6/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
/tmp/.mount_balenaZqhto6/balena-etcher-electron: line 10:  5907 Trace/breakpoint trap   "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@"

So you can see that I get the same sort of response as @Alexzee .

Getting late in my evening so two (2) workarounds for now, Policy Kit issues later.

@Alexzee - Alex, first you need to find that appimage file you said Terminal does not show.

We'll use mlocate, installed in some distros and not in others, but always in your repos.

Code:
apt policy mlocate

#or

apt-cache policy mlocate

If you have nothing against Installed: you will need to install it.

Code:
sudo apt install mlocate

#OR

sudo apt-get -y install mlocate

Once it is installed, it will refresh its database every time you reboot, or you can do that anytime with

Code:
sudo updatedb

This latter is handy if you have downloaded/installed packages in the current session and then cannot remember their path.

Once that is done,

Code:
locate balenaEtcher

will tell you where it is.

WORKAROUNDS

1. cd to the folder where the appimage is and try

Code:
sudo ./balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage

If it works, it will launch the GUI app, with an underlying terminal

Alternatively, from just the prompt in Terminal, you can use

Code:
<path/to/appimage/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox

in my case that is /home/chris/Downloads

and that should work.

Cheers for now

Wizard

Not as simple as that, Your Lordship :)

Etcher, when downloaded as a Zip and extracted, already has the executable attribute set, and ownership to the User.

Q9sZCHy.png

So under usual circumstances, you should be able to double-click the appimage in your File Manager to have it launch.

That applies to Expirion and other Ubuntu-based distros such as Mint, but it does not work for Debian.

It is a policy issue, as I noted above.

I will be back to explain.

Cheers

Wizard
Thanks for clearing that up for me - I did find this may help - https://forums.balena.io/t/howto-etcher-appimage-on-debian/161789

According to your picture it is a AppImage it does not install Right click on the AppImage and select Properties - then permissions then put a check mark in Allow Executing file as a Program and make sure owner has read write privileges
Done, it still doesn't launch.

locate balenaEtcher
/home/cora/Downloads/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
/opt/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
@debian:~$ cd /opt
@debian:/opt$ sudo ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
sudo: ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found
@debian:/opt$ ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
bash: ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: No such file or directory
@debian:/opt$ cd /opt/
@debian:/opt$ balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox
bash: balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found

locate balenaEtcher
/home/cora/Downloads/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
/opt/balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
@debian:~$ cd /opt
@debian:/opt$ sudo ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
sudo: ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found
@debian:/opt$ ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
bash: ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: No such file or directory
@debian:/opt$ cd /opt/
@debian:/opt$ balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox
bash: balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found
Shows - sudo: ./balenEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found
Should be
Code:
sudo ./balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
looks like you forgot the "a" in balena and should be no colon : after sudo just a space
Also have a look here - https://forums.balena.io/t/howto-etcher-appimage-on-debian/161789

@debian:~$ sudo ./balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage
[sudo] password for cora:
sudo: ./balenaEtcher-1.5.122-x64.AppImage: command not found