Bandwidth Limit on Linux

G

Godric

I just wanted to know if there is a way for us to limit the bandwidth usage from your Linux with out using any special tools? Example, I would put the 50% of my bandwidth for downloading and the other 50% for browsing.

Linux kernel 2.2 (and above) provides bandwidth management functionality compatible to high-end (dedicated) hardware solution. Linux does offer bandwidth management capability with tc command-line utility, with iptables and iproute2 packages.

Have you any solution or do you maybe need help? Would be nice to get some update about this.

so far and good luck
akendo

Linux kernel 2.2 (and above) provides bandwidth management functionality compatible to high-end (dedicated) hardware solution. Linux does offer bandwidth management capability with tc command-line utility, with iptables and iproute2 packages.

This ^ Stefano got in there before me. It is important to keep a track of your bandwidth usage also, it is a pain when you start using bandwidth in multiple roles and find your usage is being siphoned off where it is not overly needed.

If you want to limit bandwidth, just use the option in whm.

You can give trickle a try, but it's pretty old. You can find that with a quick Google search.
linux.die.net/man/8/tc could be a better solution, try that out.

Members online

Latest posts