Battery

gillsman

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook AH530 running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinammon, I've just purchased a new battery from Ebay which was listed as being 11.1V 5200mAh,
the battery works but when opening the power management app it is listed as 3.9V when fully charged, I questioned the seller who told me it may need re-calibrating through the Power tab in Bios, unfortunately my Bios is very old & I have no idea how to update it, even if I could I can only find one later version which is still nearly 9 years old so I doubt it would be worth it.
Does anyone know if there is an alternative (easy) way to re-calibrate the battery in Linux. I did see some people suggesting installing Windows, doing it through that & then re-installing Linux again, to be honest I really don't fancy doing that.
One final point, the battery seems to last around two & a half hours which is around what was quoted so I'm wondering is the battery actually ok but just being reported wrongly or is it likely that is a fault with it.
Many thanks

It is probably just a 'reporting' error. The battery itself stores information on a chip.
I had read somewhere years ago about draining the battery and recharging it to 'refresh' the info on the chip.
Here are a couple links to information which may be useful:

I would add that one must be very 'wary' when purchasing batteries and power adapters from Ebay.
Several years ago I purchased an AC adapter for a laptop from Ebay and it quit working after several weeks. I opened the adapter to take a peek just out of curiosity and was 'frightened' by what I discovered. Now I would spend the extra for an 'OEM' part.

It is probably just a 'reporting' error. The battery itself stores information on a chip.
I had read somewhere years ago about draining the battery and recharging it to 'refresh' the info on the chip.
Here are a couple links to information which may be useful:

I would add that one must be very 'wary' when purchasing batteries and power adapters from Ebay.
Several years ago I purchased an AC adapter for a laptop from Ebay and it quit working after several weeks. I opened the adapter to take a peek just out of curiosity and was 'frightened' by what I discovered. Now I would spend the extra for an 'OEM' part.
Thank you for your reply, I agree with you about ebay but I just need something to keep the laptop going if I remove the power, I normally only use it on AC so it's not a huge problem, I was just concerned as to if I had been sold a duffer.
I will check the link, thanks again

It's possible that being previously used, that something may be wrong or at least inconsistent. I would recommend what vrai has suggested.

It's possible that being previously used, that something may be wrong or at least inconsistent. I would recommend what vrai has suggested.
No it was brand new, its shame my bios doesn't have the power option, that would be interesting to see what it showed but yes I will do what vrai suggested & thanks for your reply

Members online