beginner needs help

F

frankmilton

I am learning linux with "The Linux Command Line" and personally i think it's a great book for linux beginners. However, the problem i have is that i am only an average desktop user so i dont really see any practical usages for the things i am being taught in this book except for basic commands. i am through about two thirds of the book and currently learning regular expressions. what can i do to put all the knowledge into practical use?

The Linux terminal is the "all in one" tool for keeping your computer running smoothly, safely, and securely.

Depending on the distribution you are using, the terminal allows you to install more software, update/modify the firewall, move files, copy files, rename files, compile, sort files, search for files, compare files, encode, transcode,rip, setup file servers, access file server, surf the web, and sooo much more.

But, like you said, the average user does not NEED to use a command interface on modern systems. On Ubuntu, I generally only NEED to use the terminal to add extra repositories. However, on Arch I use the command line for EVERYTHING.

You can definitely apply the command line to tasks like installing software, updating, and in emergencies repairing your system. For most circumstances though, there are guis available to you.

Learning the CLI is like learning how to fix your own car. There's no everyday practical use for it unless your car is on its last legs anyways, but when its needed you'll definitely be thankful you know it.

Basically is much more efficient to do certain tasks trough Terminal.

e.g. Linux Mint 16, installing a package could be like that...

CTRL + ALT +T, CTRL + R, type “ins”, Terminal brings previous command line containg the string “ins”, most likely something like “sudo apt-get install package_name”, press END, CTRL + W, type name_of_desired_package, ENTER. Takes, if that much, 5 seconds!

While...

Open a Package Manager trough GUI, search for the package, click INSTALL would take, perhaps, 30 seconds!

The usage of Pipes to “link” commands is also a very powerful feature which brings incredible flexibility. You may resize all your pictures, find and delete duplicated files, sync, etc. Depends only on your commitment to learn how to do things and of course your needs.

command line is indispensable for running programs when compiling them to get a clue about what is missing dependency wise.

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie to linux and have some questions.How can I monitor devices' information on Ubuntu 14.04 like device manager on windows.I want to try with both command line interface and graphical user interface.Thanks to all.

Darren Hale said (out of context), "command line is indispensable for running programs . . ."
@Nay Lin: inxi will monitor, from the command line. -- beware of hijacking!

If you really want to learn Linux, you need to learn how to use the shell. You will find all the stuff you learn now handy in the future.

I agree with all above answers, shell is ultimate thing. It is way way way more flexible than GUI, in GUI you can do things programmer implemented, in command line you make your own things

Members online