Best antivirus solution

gipsy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I would like to have an opinion regarding the best antivirus for Linux.
Most of my systems are RHEL 7 but I also use other distros, what I need to find is a good software taking into account license cost and installation/maintenance effort.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you very much.

The best antivirus for Linux is you and your practices. It's not free, as it costs you time to learn and implement.

Yes, there are viruses for Linux - which the Windows/Mac people point to gleefully. What they're ignoring is that while there are viruses, there's still the installation mechanism that they have to get through and then the very limited permissions a user has. Viruses with no realistic (assuming good practices) installation route are not really a threat.

Don't install dodgy software from dodgy sources. Don't enter random commands you find online unless you trust the source and know what those commands are going to do. If you're paranoid, use a sandbox/jail setup. You've already got SELinux or AppArmor in the major distros. Keep your system updated. Use complex passwords. Don't type and enter your password unless you know why the system is asking.

That sort of stuff.

Only time you may want a virus scanner on Linux is when it is functioning as a mailserver with Windows clients or when it is functioning as samba fileserver with Windows clients.

Thank you all for your answer.
I'll try to be clearer:
I run a business and I need an antivirus for my prod systems, since the customers are requiring it. :)
I agree with you for the rest, but I'm not asking as a private user.

since the customers are requiring it
Then provide the product that they demand. Or else Google "Antivirus for Linux" and make your best decision for them. Few people here use antivirus products.

I'll try to be clearer:
I run a business and I need an antivirus for my prod systems, since the customers are requiring it. :)
If your customers require you to disable the firewall and request to allow ssh login for the root user with password only authentication would you do it? Customers don't always know best, you should base your decision on the function of the system and because it being a good solution for something not because a customer thinks it's best. If you are serious about it go to different antivirus companies and ask for a quotation and see which fits your requirements and finance situation.

Since it is for a Business I would check out - BitDefender GravityZone for Linux

I'll try to be clearer:
Have you looked into the Sophos solution?

Thank you all for your answers.
To recap, the most convenient software you suggest are:
-BitDefender
-Sophos
-ClamAV
Let me know if I missed some.

To recap, the most convenient software you suggest are:

Not a matter of suggesting or recommending, just options for you to consider. As mentioned earlier, we don't use AV.

Google may reveal others, or alternativeto.net.

And see my signature on AV.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello gipsy.
in addition to your last question i would sag: The traditional AV for use at tasks of critical infrastructur with linux (like a Mailserver or else) is ClamAV and to get with most distros repositories. Thats your first base. The others are ported stuff from windows.

Good luck

Members online