Best approach for High Availability (HA) Setup for LAMP?

T

Trafalgar Law

Hi i'm yet not an expert in S.A. field. So i'm not sure what is the most proper way (industrial standard) to setup the High Availability servers (especially for LAMP Stack).

Lets say i have:
  • 2 Load-balanced Web Servers (Apaches)
Question:
  • Best way for the File Server for this Apache pool.
I'm talking about the H.A Setup of the "code files". (Because "Database" can be another story, on DB Servers. And the "Media Contents" can be on Amazon S3 nowadays)

So for this, the only way i know (using) until now is:
- Bring up 1 NFS Server
- Share the Drive out
- Mount it on 2 Apache Servers

But i know this way (NFS) is not very reliable.

So again, what is the most proper way (industrial standard) to setup the High Availability servers (especially for LAMP Stack) please?

Regards,
Trafalgar Law

oh im sorry, i never use LAMPP. i usualy with manual install, (php, mysql, apache, etc).

Hi i'm yet not an expert in S.A. field. So i'm not sure what is the most proper way (industrial standard) to setup the High Availability servers (especially for LAMP Stack).

Lets say i have:
  • 2 Load-balanced Web Servers (Apaches)
Question:
  • Best way for the File Server for this Apache pool.
I'm talking about the H.A Setup of the "code files". (Because "Database" can be another story, on DB Servers. And the "Media Contents" can be on Amazon S3 nowadays)

So for this, the only way i know (using) until now is:
- Bring up 1 NFS Server
- Share the Drive out
- Mount it on 2 Apache Servers

But i know this way (NFS) is not very reliable.

So again, what is the most proper way (industrial standard) to setup the High Availability servers (especially for LAMP Stack) please?

Regards,
Trafalgar Law

Why is NFS not reliable? I have never run into an issue where NFS was not a good choice for Network File Sharing. ;)

If you mean from a security standpoint, NFS can be secured. There is also autofs which could be very usefull in your situation.

As for alternatives to NFS (which I think is the standard), then maybe you want a bittorrent system such as bittorent-sync? Not very reliable in my opinion...relies apon other sytems too much.

Or maybe you want FTP ? Not secure but dependable for sure. Or SFTP? (SSH security + ftp)

Then you could just have a single webserver that has public accessible files...not secure.

Again, I don't understand why you say NFS is not reliable. NFS is DESIGNED for this sort of situation.

Load balanced servers - good idea.

As for the servers themselves, why not cluster them as hot/hot and have the config / application as a shared resource? If you set up your quorum correctly, this should give you what you are looking for.