Best installation practices

rgbellotti

Reaction score
Credits
I've noticed recently that many times when I'm installing software with apt, the installation instructs me to first add the app's key and then update and install, which is fine and makes sense but then I'll often get the message that 'apt-key' is deprecated when installing this way, sometimes even to the point where 'sudo apt update' will bring up errors about the recently installed key, so I manually remove them and try other methods like snap, flatpak or appImage And this is with modern / popular software like Spotify or whatnot, so I wouldn't think it's because they aren't up to date. Am I going about it the wrong way or is this just one of those things about the current state of 'apt' so don't worry about it too much. Using Debian KDE 22.04 btw and really like it

edit: actually I meant to say Debian 11 with KDE plasma desktop option

Last edited:

The problem is that ubuntu has changed the way the keys are stored on the system. It affects all ubuntu derititives.
Here's a page with a fix.
apt-keys

Glad I'm not using Ubuntu as this doesn't happen with Linux Mint.
t2009.gif

Glad I'm not using Ubuntu as this doesn't happen with Linux Mint.
t2009.gif

It will soon, probably. It wasn't Ubuntu that made the change, it's a change to apt itself. I believe it's considered to be more secure this way, though the exact details of that are beyond my knowledge. I suppose I could look up the details, but it's not a bother for me.

I've used apt to install...Wine...Handbrake...Avidemux and a few more without any problems...must be lucky.
m1204.gif

I've used apt to install...Wine...Handbrake...Avidemux and a few more without any problems...must be lucky.
m1204.gif
The problem seems to exist mostly with PPA's or added repositories. Not the main ones. so It does not seem to affect installing those programs in the regular ubuntu repositories as much anyway. It will be fixed I'm sure over time. And Chris is right there is no Debian 22.04. Kubuntu works quite well here.

For me, I can't remember the last time I actually installed anything from the repos!

Having developed a whole range of self-contained portable applications - many of which are sourced from either Github or Sourceforge - most of the Puppies I use these days are all kitted-out with these things.....which themselves run from an external partition, thereby keeping Pup relatively bloat-free. "Lean & mean" is the name of the game for us; furthermore, this approach, along with keeping all personal data on another external partition, sym-linked back into Puppy, makes it extremely easy to replace/back-up your Puppy in the event of "borking" it.....

The 'zilla-based portable browsers all update internally, in-situ, within their respective directories. I've written updater scripts for a few of the Chromium-based variants - primarily Chrome itself, and SRWare's Iron browser - and have adapted said script for a few other portable apps, including Zoom. Many other apps only update occasionally, so it's easy enough to keep on top of these manually.

It's a system that works very well, and quite a few community members seem to agree with me.....

Mike. ;)

Members online