Best Linux Distros for Security?

Thalon

Reaction score
Credits
I'm currently learning Ubuntu to get the basics of Linux, but after that I want to get into the more complicated distros, something I can use permanently. What out there will keep me the most secure, but will take a long time to learn? I'm fine with complex. I looked into Kali, but I've been told that more a Hacker's Playground to just mess around, and is actually very vulnerable itself.

I'm also getting into (non malicious) hacking, and I would hope that the distro I decide to use permanently would have some hacking tools. It's not a requirement, I can always find and install my own.
(I just really like making viruses and learning about vulnerabilities, I never use them against people)

Thankyou so much for reading!

Security is a process, not an application. Kali isn't a 'secure' operating system, it's an OS with the tools needed by those who test the security of other systems. Qubes or Tails are operating systems designed to be secure.

If you want to learn whitehat hacking, learn to use Linux and then try to use Kali. Don't try Kali as a n00b, or it will sour your views of Linux. It also isn't a good distro for day to day use, from what I've seen.

Security is a process, not an application. Kali isn't a 'secure' operating system, it's an OS with the tools needed by those who test the security of other systems. Qubes or Tails are operating systems designed to be secure.

If you want to learn whitehat hacking, learn to use Linux and then try to use Kali. Don't try Kali as a n00b, or it will sour your views of Linux. It also isn't a good distro for day to day use, from what I've seen.
I understand that you have to have knowledge and the right tools for security, but certain distros can be more secure then others due to vulnerabilities and such. That's mostly what I'm worried about, as I can just go into almost any distro and get the stuff I know done as long as it follows atleast some of the norms of Linux.
I'm also learning from Ubuntu to get the basics like I said. I'm not gonna be trying any complex distros until I understand what I'm doing. I just want to get an idea of what I should use after i have everything down.

certain distros can be more secure then others due to vulnerabilities and such

I listed two choices that do just that.

but certain distros can be more secure then others due to vulnerabilities and such.
ALL software have vulnerabilities so ALL distributions and OSes have vulnerabilities because because an OS is a collection of software designed to work together as an OS. So no there is no distribution that is more secure than another distribution because of vulnerabilities.

Last edited:
Here are a few tips.
  • Any Linux will work because you can harden it. That said, you are better off with large Enterprise supported distributions. (the big guys like Redhat, SUSE, Ubuntu, etc) They have more resources to help stabilize an distribution. The good thing is they back-feed much of their work so most distributions end up with their updates. Also, many smaller distros are based on their core OS.
  • The more applications you install, you make your distribution that much less secure. The term for this is attack surface. The more stuff you have to attack, the less secure your system will become.
  • People use Kali Linux as a Desktop OS. I consider Kali Linux a tool for CyberSecurity. Specifically around Pentesting. I have Kali Linux, but it isn't and likely won't ever become my Desktop OS. As I noted. It's a tool IMO.
All that said, I would worry about with Distro you enjoy using the most. Some are more geared towards specific uses, but they may be less friendly to use. (like Kali among others) The most important thing is to be happy when you're using it. Not annoyed. Then learn to secure it peoperly.

Here are my personal top picks for a Linux Desktop Distro with extra security built in
Linux Kodachi - Septor - Qubes OS - Whonix
for USB Stick - Tails and TENS
But with that said you can make just about any other Linux just as secure as those by installing the same software that they have it is just a matter of configuration - bottom line is find an OS you like then go about hardening it.
If you are looking for Penetration testing - Parrot OS, Kali Linux, and Black Arch Linux

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts