Best OS for an older Dell Precision laptop for dictating to create documents in Open Office.

rlboop

Reaction score
Credits
Since I am new to Linux and I need to set up an older Dell Precision Laptop with a Linux OS that would work well with Apache Open Office and speech recognition software so it can be used for reading and writing to a document. This laptop will be used to accommodate a disabled person so it needs to be simple to use and the voice recognition must be able to adapt to the user's speech pattern. Any ideas?

It's better to use LibreOffice now days because there is more development going on with Libreoffice than Open Office. What are the hardware specs of your Dell Precision laptop?

Periodically, I scan the 'net looking for acceptable speech-to-text options for Linux and never really find anything that works all that well - for me. You may find something else, but to me all the options were either a bit obscure or were more of a kludge.

Granted, it has been a couple of years since I sat down and really tried to find a solution.

On the other hand, I can easily do speech-to-text on any of my Android devices. As much as I love Linux, it's not always the best solution. So, there's something to think about.

But, let's be optimistic... Things may have changed in the past couple of years since I last devoted a day to testing all the solutions I could find. If not, you may wish to look in the direction of Android - tablets, tablets with keyboards, and presumably Chrome (the OS) (eg Chromebooks) are perhaps better solutions for someone who is disabled.

It's better to use LibreOffice now days because there is more development going on with Libreoffice than Open Office. What are the hardware specs of your Dell Precision laptop?
Thanks for the reply. I use Libre Office but my friend is familiar with Open Office. The Dell Precision M6300 with a core duo 2.00 GHz with 4 GB RAM and a 500 GB SSD drive. Currently running Windows 7. It has a USB microphone and it seems it is more than adequate. The user has a mild speech impediment and is low in volume.

I just came across this add on.

It will run on either Chromium, Chrome, or Brave browser......or anything else that is based on Chromium or Chrome.

Read Aloud: A Text to Speech Voice Reader​

It has over 2,000,000 users

Members online