Best place to run Linux from?

D

dyo1

First of all, I can't install Linux on my HDD, because I make programs with Visual Studio 2010, I'm pretty sure there isn't any Linux releases for that, the same with Game Maker.

I've been running Linux from m flash drive, and I'm planing to install it on ext. hard drive, will it load/run faster (or better in any way), and will it be more stable?

You can install BOTH Windows and Linux onto ONE Hard Drive. It is called Dual Booting.

If your external drive is eSATA or USB 3 then performance will be the same as with an internal disk. USB 2 will be noticeably slower.
- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1772474/booting-linux-portable-hdd.html

Microsoft Visual Studio alternatives for Linux
http://alternativeto.net/software/visual-studio/?platform=linux

GameMaker alternatives for Linux
http://alternativeto.net/software/game-maker/?platform=linux

But is it safer to install on ext. HDD?
Will it be more stable and better than flash drive?

And the problem is there that I have only one HDD with LESS than 100 GB (Aroung 75 GB in total) , so there's just no way...

Last edited:
Why not run say, Puppy Slacko, from a USB stick and save your work to the larger external hard drive? Savefile will allow installation of packages and saving files, so I'd go with a 16 gig stick, myself, to allow for a temporary image file save, perhaps.

Safer? safer for what -- windoze?

Why not run say, Puppy Slacko, from a USB stick and save your work to the larger external hard drive? Savefile will allow installation of packages and saving files, so I'd go with a 16 gig stick, myself, to allow for a temporary image file save, perhaps.

I waant to stay with LXLE and Lubuntu, I think it's the best choice for me
By safer I mean lower chance to get any trouble with the Linux OS, I don't really care about Windows, because I can fix it at any time (windows expert? :p)

I have a 16 GB flash drive, but I cant boot from it, system hangs just after POST screen until I remove it (it works fine tho...)
I have small disk as I said before, and I want only Windows to be installed on it, I want Linux to be on a external device, and I'm running LXLE on a 8 GB flash drive
The question is: Will I have problems with LXLE, if I install it on a 500 GB external HDD?

IMHO, best place from which to run Linux is the 16GB USB stick;
I'd reformat it using gparted -- first to ext2, then to the FS preferred -- then partition it if desired;​
I do not care for LXLE, but would prefer LinuxLite, myself;
LXLE would not allow me to go to console (tty) using standard command Ctrl-Alt-F? -- this alone would cause problems for me, personally.
Too many variables remain unanswered to give a thorough suggestion -- size of external hdd, is it in an enclosure so hdd may be removed; is it BIOS (probably) or EFI being used, etc.

I defer to others on this, OP.

IMHO, best place from which to run Linux is the 16GB USB stick;
I'd reformat it using gparted -- first to ext2, then to the FS preferred -- then partition it if desired;​
I do not care for LXLE, but would prefer LinuxLite, myself;
LXLE would not allow me to go to console (tty) using standard command Ctrl-Alt-F? -- this alone would cause problems for me, personally.
Too many variables remain unanswered to give a thorough suggestion -- size of external hdd, is it in an enclosure so hdd may be removed; is it BIOS (probably) or EFI being used, etc.

I defer to others on this, OP.

I tried formatting it with a lot of different programs, and tried around 10 linux bistros, the problem comes from the USB flash drive itself (i think), and not the PC or the OS inside it, its just not built well I think...

I have had good experiences, as far as USB sticks go, with Patriot and Lexar Echo.
I stay away from HP and SanDisk, primarily due to POS factory-installed software.

I've never had a problem with USB installs on any of my USB drives.

And I've also got quite a few SanDisk drives... Never had a problem with the factory installed junk on any of them. The first thing I do when I get a new drive is re-format and remove all of that stuff! Heh heh!

Besides, they always seem to come formatted in VFAT and loaded with Windows crapware. So as a full-time Linux user, it doesn't really have any impact on me!

I guess Verbatim flash drives can't be made bootable? :/
Does anyone know something about SEAGATE ext. HDDs?
Will I be able to boot from it? (STBX500200/HDD EXPANSION 500GB 2.5''USB 3.0 to be exact)

Most definitely! In fact, being USB3, your seagate is the best device from which to boot (it pays to give details like this at the beginning). Just get into the computer's BIOS, tell it to boot off the dvd/cd-rom drive, install linux, then, whenever you want to run linux, boot off the usb hard drive.

[Your external hard drive will be recognized as a HDD by the BIOS]

Yes, flag the usb stick (or the / partition of the stick) as 'bootable' using gparted

Most definitely! In fact, being USB3, your seagate is the best device from which to boot (it pays to give details like this at the beginning). Just get into the computer's BIOS, tell it to boot off the dvd/cd-rom drive, install linux, then, whenever you want to run linux, boot off the usb hard drive.

[Your external hard drive will be recognized as a HDD by the BIOS]

Yes, flag the usb stick (or the / partition of the stick) as 'bootable' using gparted
Thanks, I will get one of those, and will probably make the flash USB bootable. :)

I tried formatting it with a lot of different programs, and tried around 10 linux bistros, the problem comes from the USB flash drive itself (i think), and not the PC or the OS inside it, its just not built well I think...
make sure you format the stick FAT 32, then Lily program works like a dream!

make sure you format the stick FAT 32, then Lily program works like a dream!
It was formatted FAT only when I got it, but I think Linux re-formatted it when I set up the partitions, I don't have any problems. :)

Latest posts