"/bin/bash: no: command not found" while compiling gtk

colt

Reaction score
Credits
I was trying to compile gtk when I faced
Code:
make[2]: Entering directory `/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/gtk+-2.24.0/demos'
no --raw --build-list        \
            apple_red  ./apple-red.png    \
                gnome_foot ./gnome-foot.png    \
        > test-inline-pixbufs.h                \
    || (rm -f test-inline-pixbufs.h && false)
/bin/bash: no: command not found
make[2]: *** [test-inline-pixbufs.h] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/gtk+-2.24.0/demos'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/gtk+-2.24.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

my guess its an error related to all these '\'. However I don't know if that's really the case, how to fix it and perhaps the most important, where is this code piece. So I would appreciate guesses about how to locate and fix it.

My guess is your are missing a development package of some sort because of this error.
Maybe try something like this?
Code:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo yum install gtk2-devel

Still unable to solve the issue.

My guess is your are missing a development package of some sort because of this error.
Maybe try something like this?
Code:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo yum install gtk2-devel

I am not using pre-compiled packages, trying to build it from scratch.

Unfortunately I do not know which package should contain such file, but I am sure I am not missing any. Some package is not generating this test file, not sure if is Gtk itself or Gdk, perhaps because with some problem with libPng. I already tried more than one gdk with more than one libpng (and also more than one gtk)

********EDITED***********

Found the file in an online repository, and this time compilation proceed until the end. Tomorrow I will try the new Gtk with the program that requires it.

Last edited:
It looks to me like it’s related to a command called no, which appears to be missing.
Offhand, I’m not sure what no is. I’m not near my Linux laptop atm.
I’ll do a bit of digging later!

It could also be an error in the Makefile for the demos.
If you try to locate where that line containing the no command is in the Makefile - it may be that the preceding line is missing a backslash at the end. Maybe no is an option to a command on the previous line of the Makefile? If there is a backslash required and it’s missing, then the line starting with no would be considered to be a separate command, rather than part of the preceding command.
So that would be one place to check.

The output from that apparent no command is redirected to test-inline-pixbufs.h. If the no command does not exist, then test-inline-pixbufs.h will either be empty, or not exist at all!

Edit:
Never mind, just read your last post again. Looks like you’ve solved the problem yourself!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online