Bitlocker for Linux mint

hendricks54

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to encrypt my external drives, but i do not know what is the Linux equilvalent to Bitlocker in windows. I used windows to Bitlock my external drives. I have been looking at youtube videos but then i get this message:
Screenshot from 2022-03-04 05-42-52.png

then i tried youtubing how to locate the package, and now i am going in a huge vicious circle that doesn't end. Does Linux have an equivalent bitlocker where i can encrypt my external drives? I am operating Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamenon. Version 5.2.7. Please and thank you.

I use a very small SSD (128G), all in there - distro, VM, ... are disposable.
I keep all important ones (family pictures, music collection ...) on external HDDs that are connected to power bars which are off most of the time - and when they are on, I disconnect the ethernet.
The SSD is cloned, I can be back online in less then 10 minutes if hacked.

so my good gentlemen, i thank you all for assisting me on your responses, but I am very new at all of this. You are are very knowledgeable. Your answers are confusing and in all your answer my question was not answered. Could someone, be able to simply the answer a bit better please and thnk you. ML_113 answer was great, but once again did not answer my question. Thank you though.

May someone guide me to where install a similar bitlocker from MS to Iinux. I am not understanding what you all are saying or sending me to as the links to the installations do not work, have been discontinued or just bring me in a loop. thank you.

You can use Gnome Disk Utility (aka Disks) with LUKS here is step by step for an External Drive I believe Linux Mint has this Utility already installed - if not open Synaptic Package Manager and type in gnome-disk-utility in the search block then install it.

Step 1) Make sure the drive you want to encrypt is plugged in and open Disks then click the 3 dots in upper right and select Format Disk
1.png

Step 2) Select MBR/DOS if less then 2TB or GPT if more then 2TB
2.png

Step 3) click the + button
3.png

Step 4) Click Next
4.png

Step 5) Ensure you have checked the following two blocks (Ext4 and LUKS) - you can put a name in the "Volume Name" if you desire
5.png

Step 6) You can now set your password then click the Create Button - all done
6.png

Now a password is required to access that drive

Last edited by a moderator:
From Linux Mint Forums' explanation and what OP posts, full-disk encryption where a passphrase is entered at boot seems to be what is desired. @brickwizard mentioned LUKS, and this is what many linux distros offer on installation. AFAIK, it cannot be implemented after installation.

So, backing up and reinstalling Mint using the LUKS encryption option or using eCryptfs after installation for directory encryption are your two obvious options. I cannot get much simpler than this explanation.

TAILS is one of the most most secure Linux distribution so if you have problems with bitlocker that might be an alternative