Black screen after first boot up menu

TheBlindBat

Reaction score
Credits
I recently got a new laptop and i was planning to install mx linux along side windows. I have flashed my usb with rufus with the image but in the boot menu after i select my usb and then select mx linux, a black screen appears and doesnt seem to boot mx linux to install it. Can anyone please help me with this so that it actrually boots upp the os?

20201228_210244.jpg

20201228_210306.jpg

Attachments

• 20201228_210244.jpg
    20201228_210244.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 984
  • 20201228_210306.jpg
    20201228_210306.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 977

Try adding 'nomodeset' to the boot parameters with grub.

Judging by your screen (no, I don't keep these memorized) it's either under advanced options or you can do it after pressing the 'e' key.

In Rufus on a windows machine
Did you select FreeDOS, Partition Scheme=MBR, Target System=BIOS(orUEFI-CSM)
File System=FAT32?
Also need to be connected to Internet while doing this Rufus may need a couple of files to write Linux correctly ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.bss which Rufus usually gives you a waning about it.

Personally I like to use Etcher

To add nomodeset

Hold down the shift key when booting starts.
You should get the grub console mode menu. The top option should be selected. Press 'e' to edit that line.
Scroll down to the "kernel..." line. The is the line that tells Grub which kernel to boot with and the parameters to be passed to the kernel when it boots are placed at the end of this line.
Press 'e' again to edit this line.
Move to the end of the line to the text that says "quiet splash" and then enter "nomodeset" after splash and before " mark ensuring there is a space between the new option and any other option.
It should look like "quiet splash nomodeset"
Once you have added the parameter, press Enter to accept the editing.
Then press 'b' to boot using that kernel and those parameters.

e

Members online