Black screen, just pointer reboot only option.

trebby91

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
New to Linux been a windows user for… to long, running windows 7 Pro not going to windows 10.
Just loaded Linux Mint.
I know as a windows user I am going to have problems adapting.
I am having problems with having to type commands for what I want the system to do.
Three problems I have encountered so far are:-
1. When I leave the laptop switched on untended the system goes to a black screen with just the pointer visible nothing I can do but reboot.
2. tried to load Gonzilla it loaded from software manager I pressed “Launch”
Nothing happened looked for it in the menu, not there.
3. plugged in a Usb stick nothing shown on the screen.
Just one other thing the system seems to be running very slow in comparison to windows 7 Pro.
Really want to get away from MS Windows I will get my head around this!
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards, Barry.

Hi,
New to Linux been a windows user for… to long, running windows 7 Pro not going to windows 10.
Just loaded Linux Mint.
I know as a windows user I am going to have problems adapting.
I am having problems with having to type commands for what I want the system to do.
Three problems I have encountered so far are:-
1. When I leave the laptop switched on untended the system goes to a black screen with just the pointer visible nothing I can do but reboot.
2. tried to load Gonzilla it loaded from software manager I pressed “Launch”
Nothing happened looked for it in the menu, not there.
Just one other thing the system seems to be running very slow in comparison to windows 7 Pro.
Really want to get away from MS Windows I will get my head around this!
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards, Barry.
Which version of Linux Mint?
Also, what are your laptop specs? CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. How old is the machine?
Perhaps a different version of Linux Mint or a different version of Linux would be better suited.

Here's a good place to start.

Perhaps a different version of Linux Mint or a different version of Linux would be better suited.
Hi, Keith.

Thanks, Barry.

Sorry I should have said Clonezilla ! It show up with a green tick in software manager but nowhere else. the laptop is a little old now but it runs Windows 7 really well its a Dell Inspiron 1545 2.30 Duel Cpu with 4Gb Memory
My laptop maybe a little old now but it run windows 7 really well its a Dell Inspiron 1545 duel CPU 2.30 Mhz 4Gb memory running Mint Xubuntu I just got it from Google, should I be using another version?

Not happy with it so I will wait for a reply before reloading it.

Sorry I should have said Clonezilla !
Aha! That is useful information! :)
Clonezilla is not a program intended to be run from within your operating system.
It is intended to be burned to a CD disc or a USB flash drive.
You would then restart the computer and run Clonezilla from the CD or USB in what is called a "Live" enviroment. Check out the Clonezilla website.

Although the information shared regarding the laptop specs is a little 'scant' - I would estimate that most Linux distros should run fine on that machine.

Many Linux distros have problems with 'sleep' and 'hibernate' on some machines. I don't know if your machine is one of the 'problematic' ones. I would adjust the power and display settings so my screen did not 'blank' and the machine did not go to 'sleep'. But that may not be a desirable solution for you.

Do you know for sure if that USB port works well? And the USB drive?

Have you tried updating the drivers? Linux Mint has a "Driver Manager" which can be useful.
This is where some more detailed specs of the machine could be useful :/

Here's a good place to start.

HAW HAW!! Yeah, I like the Simpsons too. :3 Linux Lite is pretty, AND Lite! :>

Thanks for the help, think I will reload it and start again!
Regards, Barry.

Members online

Latest posts