Black text on dark background in Tutorials

MattWinter

Reaction score
Credits
I switched to dark mode for this site, and noticed a few posts by Rob in the tutorials are very hard to read because they show up as black text on dark gray background. It's not a huge deal, but just wondering if this is worth fixing since it's in Tutorials. The ones I found are
Intermediate Tutorials:
Databases with Linux

Advanced Tutorials:
Programming in Linux
Keeping Your Linux System Secure in an Insecure World
Firewalls
Checking for Damage with Rootkit Hunter
Providing Services under Linux
Linux and CVS
Setting up Snort
Open SSH

I'll take a look during my afternoon, Matt, over a couple of my Distros, and a couple more of my beers.

Cheers

Wiz

MattWinter wrote:
I switched to dark mode for this site, and noticed a few posts by Rob in the tutorials are very hard to read because they show up as black text on dark gray background.
It may depend on the sort of "dark mode" that you are using. On firefox here the extension "Dark Background and Light Text", has text very clear and it's been problem-free for a few years now.

No, it is a legitimate fault, as the 2 screenshots follow illustrate. I have a standard Firefox and usually use the Default (light) mode for the site, so had not noticed this.

First shot is me at Matt's thread, in Dark Mode

VgDODw1.png

... which is what I would expect.

But taking the first of those Tutes that Matt mentions

x3cgoX5.png

So thanks for that, Matt.

@Rob

Could you please take a look at this, and come back to us with your thoughts.

Meantime, Matt, you're smart enough, stay out of the Tutes for a bit.

IX0LgkU.gif

Wiz

wizardfromoz wrote:
No, it is a legitimate fault, as the 2 screenshots follow illustrate. I have a standard Firefox and usually use the Default (light) mode for the site, so had not noticed this.
There is a difference between the firefox default dark mode, and the extension mentioned in post #3. The extension is fine.

To clarify post #3, the "It" beginning the sentence referred to "a working dark theme". I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. In other words, the dependency referred to was in the choice ... if the user chose the firefox default, it didn't work well, but if one chose the extension, it did.

Last edited:
I think we may be on different wavelengths here.

I got my two screenshots from using our site's option as follows, not a Firefox option, and then choosing Dark.

EqKJTCr.png

Perhaps the OP can confirm for us if that is what he is talking about.

Cheers

Wiz

wizardfromoz wrote:
I think we may be on different wavelengths here.
I got my two screenshots from using our site's option as follows, not a Firefox option, and then choosing Dark.
Yes, I think you are correct. I wasn't aware that this site provided a dark mode, but this is evidently what MattWinter is referring to on my re-reading of his post #1.

On reflection, I hope there was something useful in alerting the reader to the good functionality of the extension, but as you imply, I missed the bus.

but as you imply, I missed the bus.

I doubt you miss many buses, mate. :) and that is a good tip you provided.

It seems to be specifically with those Tutorials the OP has listed, the others work fine under Dark Mode. I believe it may be why he is here in Forum Assistance, too, rather than asking a question in the Support forums. He has expended considerable efforts to check them out, and thank you for that., Matt.

@Rob , I have checked what Matt said and the same thing applies under Firefox, Waterfox, and Vivaldi, I can check more but I expect the same result.

Cheers all

Wiz

It's likely that the text was formatted to be black in color.

A mod/admin may be able to highlight all the text and remove the formatting. Or just copy/paste it back as plain text, making sure there's no text color formatting already set.

Members online

Latest posts