Bluetooth Issues with Logitech k375s keyboard

Techforay

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Logitech k375s keyboard. I had the latest version of mint on a t490s lenovo laptop and the keyboard paired to bluetooth with no problems. I recently changed my distro to arch based manjaro. My logitich mouse will connect fine but the keyboard will not. bluetooth finds the keyboard but it wont pair. i have looked in the wiki and tried finding out if manjaro uses a different bluetooth manager then mint. It appears to use the same. Can someone give me some help

G'day @Techforay - I am going to move this to Linux Hardware where it is more appropriate, and less likely to disappear so quickly "off into the boonies" as it is doing here in General. :)

Tell whomever helps you what DE (desktop environment) of Manjaro you are using too, eg KDE, GNOME, Xfce &c, and your kernel version which you can get from

Code:
uname -r

I should say, to check first in menu options for virtual keyboard, that you may be able to use in the meantime. Also let us know whether you can beg, steal or borrow another keyboard (could be USB) for a comparison test with the files you have for device information.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I actually found a way to take care of this myself. I went to the Arch wiki and found a command on there that they suggested to use. I ran the command and noticed that every once in a while in the information that was being printed out on the screen, that it was printing a verification code. I never got a GUI asking to put the code in but i typed it in the terminal and it worked. My question still is why in Mint when I tried to connect the keyboard a GUI came up and asked me for the code and once I entered the code it connect to the keyboard. In Manjaro it never generated or asked for the code and after a while gave me an error message. I am still a linux novice but i would think that if they use the same bluetooth manager both distros would perform the same. In Chris’s response above he may have answered the question. Different kernel and different DE? Is the the reason maybe?

I actually found a way to take care of this myself. I went to the Arch wiki and...

I tip my hat to you :), Arch Wiki can be an invaluable tool, and a treasure trove of information as long as you don't have to click all the links, or else you might do a Jumanji and not come out for 20 years.

Plus of course, adapting some of the commands to suit the non-Arch environment.

I am by no means a Bluetooth expert, so I can only guess there, but my reasons for the questions on DE and kernel were two-fold:

Over the last 3 years or so, it has become the practice to place more and more drivers within the code of the Linux kernel, and less as individual packages to be added from Repositories or downloaded from other sources, so newer kernels can provide better access to newer equipment.

At the same time, support for some devices may be dropped if it is perceived that there is not the demand for justifying their inclusion. So knowing your kernel version could help a helper advise whether you could try an older or newer kernel.

The question on DEs was simply to establish your Environment, so that we could perhaps say "Go to here on your Menu, and to that category, and do this or that".

I run 60 Linux on this rig, which include a number of Mints and a number of Manjaroes, so I boot into the one the Member is using if I have it in stock, for easier guidance.

I am guessing on the Bluetooth-specific side of things, but for ever so many packages, there is .conf or similar config file that can be tweaked, and have differing default setup across Distros. It is possible that a difference exists in that setup between Mint and Manjaro that would explain why one prompted for the code and the other, not.

Someone may swing through here with the answer, or if you find it yourself before us, by all means share it with us. :)

Do consider swinging over to Member Introductions and tell us a little of the Techforay story, you'll find the Gang to be friendly.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Wizard

BTW - Timeshift is available in all Manjaro repositories. If the keyboard is working fine, I would install Timeshift and take a screenshot. I can field questions on Timeshift at my Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

It funny you mention Timeshift. I hate to admit this but the reason I have Manjaro on my laptop now is that i formated the wrong drive. Yep wipe her out with one push of a button. I have decided that i really like the arch based system beter. Probably more do to the Pacman pkg manager. I will post something on the thread you moderate because i dont fully recognize the the value of Timeshift. I am sure there is but in this case I had my docs from Downloads, and Documents folders coppied to a hard drive because i just bought a new Lenovo think pad for linux. It only takes 20 mins to install a distro (Arch took me a little longer on another device) and i just coppied the files off the drive and i was up and running again. I am assuming that you would have to installl the distro before doing a restore in Timeshift. My guess is from what i am learning that the is a lot of configuring that is possible. And i am sure that you will get to a place that a backup is the only way to go. I am dedicated to linux. I am currently experimenting with window managers instead of DE's on arch and I am really enjoying the learning. The tough things for me have been understanding why things work so differently on some distros rather than other. That is why i want something stable on my main machine and then something more terminal and window based on the one i dont have to depend on. My goal is the learn all i can on the experimental device and eventual but the other with what i have learned. Thank you for all your correspondence. I really appreciate you people.

That sounds like you have a plan, and that is great. You and I are both 1957ers, and I spent the best part of 25 years with that other OS, before realising Linux was the way to go.

Never regretted it.

My New Year's ambition is to get the Timeshift thread current, which will include revising the Manjaro section, because since I first started writing it, Timeshift has become a standard part of its Repositories.

See you at the Timeshift thread, and if I do not see you before Thursday, have a great birthday.

Wizard

Stay safe

It funny you mention Timeshift. I hate to admit this but the reason I have Manjaro on my laptop now is that i formated the wrong drive. Yep wipe her out with one push of a button. I have decided that i really like the arch based system beter. Probably more do to the Pacman pkg manager. I will post something on the thread you moderate because i dont fully recognize the the value of Timeshift. I am sure there is but in this case I had my docs from Downloads, and Documents folders coppied to a hard drive because i just bought a new Lenovo think pad for linux. It only takes 20 mins to install a distro (Arch took me a little longer on another device) and i just coppied the files off the drive and i was up and running again. I am assuming that you would have to installl the distro before doing a restore in Timeshift. My guess is from what i am learning that the is a lot of configuring that is possible. And i am sure that you will get to a place that a backup is the only way to go. I am dedicated to linux. I am currently experimenting with window managers instead of DE's on arch and I am really enjoying the learning. The tough things for me have been understanding why things work so differently on some distros rather than other. That is why i want something stable on my main machine and then something more terminal and window based on the one i dont have to depend on. My goal is the learn all i can on the experimental device and eventual but the other with what i have learned. Thank you for all your correspondence. I really appreciate you people.
@Techforay @wizardfromoz @Condobloke
Greetings Techforay and welcome,
When I read that you are using a second machine for experimenting with different stuff, I said to my self - "There is a man after my own heart!". I have my main rig that I use every day for important stuff, and an old Acer Laptop that I now have an hdd and an ssd drive on, with about ten or eleven distros installed, to play around with and learn with.
I use Timeshift on my main rig to make sure that I don't lose anything important. I do the "create" backup feature when I feel it is necessary. I don't have the need for a regularly scheduled backup. I learned from Condobloke {I think it was him} to only save the newest two backups and delete the older ones - and to do the backups on an external device.
I'm sure that you can get answers, to almost any problem you might have with Linux, on this forum.
Just an Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

i was able to get the keyboard connected on manjaro but still have not been successful on the arch machine without the DE. Using the Arch Wiki i have been able to install and enable wifi, a window manager and enable bluetooth. i am currently struggling to get a keyboard paired. i have not figured out what package to install to display the authentication code to pair the keyboard. i did get the mouse paired. on the manjaro device i used the bluetoothctl command and was able to see and enter the Auth code for the keyboard although i did it while a scan was scrolling through the terminal. it dose not seem to be working on the arch build with no DE. there must be a better bluetooth manager that show the auth code in a gui. any thoughts

Not from me, but keep the faith, someone may know.

I'll have a scout around and if I turn up anything that looks useful, I'll report back here.

Cheers

Wizard

Just to really go out on a limb...try connecting the keyboard first.

You can try Blueman it is not installed by default on Arch
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy
Code:
sudo pacman -S blueman
it may ask to install dependencies type in y
now start Blueman - type in Blueman in the application menu it should find it and start it and see if it finds your keyboard

@Techforay @wizardfromoz @Condobloke
Greetings Techforay and welcome,
When I read that you are using a second machine for experimenting with different stuff, I said to my self - "There is a man after my own heart!". I have my main rig that I use every day for important stuff, and an old Acer Laptop that I now have an hdd and an ssd drive on, with about ten or eleven distros installed, to play around with and learn with.
I use Timeshift on my main rig to make sure that I don't lose anything important. I do the "create" backup feature when I feel it is necessary. I don't have the need for a regularly scheduled backup. I learned from Condobloke {I think it was him} to only save the newest two backups and delete the older ones - and to do the backups on an external device.
I'm sure that you can get answers, to almost any problem you might have with Linux, on this forum.
Just an Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

You mentioned above that you have a ssd drive with multiple distros. Is it possible to partition a single ssd drive and install a few different distros on it. I know a lot of people use virtual box but i am not a huge fan. It seems to be glitchy for me and it doesn’t present the same issues that i encounter installing on a device

Staff online