Bluetooth usb problem

Peter0623

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
This is my first post , glad to be here and hope this problem with Bluetooth adapter can be resolved.
Apologies in advance if my question is so easy to resolve it frustrates other users here. I am a basic Linux user.
After reading many potential answers , nothing seems to work and have lost direction .

Ubuntu 14.04 is my OS but prefer using xfce and my kernel 3.16.0-56-lowlatency
Mpow MPBH456AB is the Bluetooth usb

Screenshot - 02172021 - 10:48:10 AM.png

0bda:8771 Realtek is the Bluetooth usb .

Screenshot - 02172021 - 10:54:35 AM.png

The make file says supported kernel version is 2.6.32 - 5.3 , so kernel 3.16.0-56 is supported.

I do not understand the read.txt file on compiling the driver and that`s where i am lost.

Help appreciated on this .

Thanks.

Attachments

• Readme.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 501

Let's start with the basics.

Why are you using a 7 year old OS?

Hello KGIII , apologies for not responding earlier , we have a time difference.

As to your question on why i am using a 7 year old OS is simple, it`s a closed system , i.e. an old box which is unable to update to the latest firmware as it would break it.

I hope you can help on the Bluetooth issue .
Screenshot - 02182021 - 09:32:35 AM.png

This is the adapter

Last edited:
Chances are you are going to have to install some build packages to do what is explained in that readme.txt. Since Ubuntu 14.04 is EOL the sources are unavailable as well so you might be looking at an impossible task if the build packages aren't already installed.

Can you share the output of:
Code:
which make
dpg --list | grep make
dpkg --list | grep build-essential

Output of make:

reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$ dpg --list | grep make
No command 'dpg' found, did you mean:
Command 'gpg' from package 'gnupg' (main)
Command 'dog' from package 'sheepdog' (universe)
Command 'dpm' from package 'dpm-server-mysql' (universe)
Command 'dpm' from package 'dpm-server-postgres' (universe)
Command 'dig' from package 'dnsutils' (main)
Command 'dig' from package 'knot-dnsutils' (universe)
Command 'dpkg' from package 'dpkg' (main)
Command 'pg' from package 'util-linux' (main)
Command 'apg' from package 'apg' (main)
Command 'dlg' from package 'pccts' (universe)
Command 'dp' from package 'speech-tools' (universe)
Command 'dpt' from package 'pkg-perl-tools' (universe)
dpg: command not found
reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$ dpkg --list | grep build-essential
reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$

Hope this helps.

I made a typo, let's try that again.
Code:
which make
dpkg --list | grep make
dpkg --list | grep build-essential

Output of make :

reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$ dpkg --list | grep make
ii ant 1.9.3-2ubuntu0.1 all Java based build tool like make
ii ant-optional 1.9.3-2ubuntu0.1 all Java based build tool like make - optional libraries
ii automake 1:1.14.1-2ubuntu1 all Tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles
ii cmake 2.8.12.2-0ubuntu3 i386 cross-platform, open-source make system
ii cmake-data 2.8.12.2-0ubuntu3 all CMake data files (modules, templates and documentation)
ii devscripts 2.14.1ubuntu0.1 i386 scripts to make the life of a Debian Package maintainer easier
ii dh-make 0.63 all tool that converts source archives into Debian package source
ii libautodie-perl 2.23-1 all Perl pragma to make certain failures fatal
ii make 3.81-8.2ubuntu3 i386 An utility for Directing compilation.
ii makedev 2.3.1-93ubuntu2~ubuntu14.04.1 all creates device files in /dev
ii makemkv-bin 1.14.5-1~trusty i386 MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere.
ii makemkv-oss 1.14.5-1~trusty i386 MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere.
ii qt4-qmake 4:4.8.5+git192-g085f851+dfsg-2ubuntu4.1 i386 Qt 4 qmake Makefile generator tool
reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$ dpkg --list | grep build-essential

That last command on build-essential did not produce anything , hope the make command was helpful -

Was also looking for the code tag but could not find it.

As mentioned by f33dm3bits, your old OS is very unlikely to work with that device.

You mention it being closed and not able to upgrade due to firmware. That doesn't really make any sense to me. Firmware isn't really an OS thing. ROM BIOS is firmware. Your HDD has firmware. The OS just interacts with it.

I missed a part of your first post where you try to start the bluetooth service, it seems that isn't even installed because you are getting the message: "bluetooth: unrecognized service" You need the firmware of the device so that the kernel can communicate with it, then you need the bluetooth service(an application) running in order for the OS to talk to the kernel to be able recognize the device in the OS so that you as a user can use it. Am I saying that correctly @KGIII? I always confuse myself when having to explain it or when I have to write it out. All I know it looks like this: Hardware -> Firmware -> Kernel -> Applications(Userspace)

Try running this on your system.
Code:
sudo apt-get install bluetooth
What's the output of that?

Last edited:
You need the firmware of the device in order for the kernel to communicate to the hardware to be able to load the drivers, then you need the bluetooth service running in order for the OS to talk to the kernel to be able recognize the device in the OS so that you as a user can use it. Am I saying that correctly @KGIII?

You need the drivers to interact with the hardware, which is where the firmware lives. When you 'update the firmware' (say updating BIOS) you're writing data that then resides on the hardware (usually in non-volitile memory). Your optical drives, solid state drives, and even spinning platter drives all have firmware - and it's sometimes upgradeable.

Though Linux sometimes confuses this with the CPU. You may notice 'firmware' in the 'additional drivers' section on distros like Ubuntu. That's just loading a pseudo-firmware that's treated like an additional layer between the hardware and the software.

Huh... You're right. This isn't easy to explain, now that I think about it. Anyhow...

Anything in that area would be available on newer OSes. Upgrading *shouldn't* break that. Firmware is already written to the hardware. That's why it's "firmware" and not "software".

Firm vs. soft. There's a reason for the names.

I'm not trying to be mean - I'm trying to understand. Their explanation for not upgrading doesn't make any sense to me.

Maybe it's some sort of specialized device - like I have seen an oscilloscope that actually runs Lubuntu. It can be upgraded, but not easily and only when updates are available from the vendor. Maybe it's some sort of control device for CNC manufacturing - to give a couple of examples.

Maybe it's some sort of specialized device - like I have seen an oscilloscope that actually runs Lubuntu. It can be upgraded, but not easily and only when updates are available from the vendor. Maybe it's some sort of control device for CNC manufacturing - to give a couple of examples.
It sounds more like it's just a desktop to me the way they describe their system since it's running a DE.
Ubuntu 14.04 is my OS but prefer using xfce and my kernel 3.16.0-56-lowlatency
Mpow MPBH456AB is the Bluetooth usb
You need the drivers to interact with the hardware, which is where the firmware lives. When you 'update the firmware' (say updating BIOS) you're writing data that then resides on the hardware (usually in non-volitile memory). Your optical drives, solid state drives, and even spinning platter drives all have firmware - and it's sometimes upgradeable.
Aren't the drivers part of the kernel or loaded into the kernel as modules if they aren't part of the kernel, that's why I said the kernel talks to the firmware and the Applications talk to the kernel -> Kernel Layout

Aren't the drivers part of the kernel or loaded into the kernel as modules if they aren't part of the kernel, that's why I said the kernel talks to the firmware and the Applications talk to the kernel

Yes. That is absolutely correct. You'd already covered that, so I didn't add it to my response.

I missed a part of your first post where you try to start the bluetooth service, it seems that isn't even installed because you are getting the message: "bluetooth: unrecognized service" You need the firmware of the device so that the kernel can communicate with it, then you need the bluetooth service(an application) running in order for the OS to talk to the kernel to be able recognize the device in the OS so that you as a user can use it. Am I saying that correctly @KGIII? I always confuse myself when having to explain it or when I have to write it out. All I know it looks like this: Hardware -> Firmware -> Kernel -> Applications(Userspace)

Try running this on your system.
Code:
sudo apt-get install bluetooth
What's the output of that?

reel@BM2LTSR66RBin:/media/hd/home/reel$ sudo apt-get install bluetooth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bluetooth is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.

It is a desktop htpc with 6 tuners and a dvd which i rarely use.

It seems I didn't see it correctly from your first post, since it bluetooth is installed. Can you share the location of where you got that Readme.txt?

Hello and good morning f33dm3bits,

Screenshot - 02192021 - 08:38:06 AM.png

The link to the readme.txt belongs to the folder where the driver needs compiling. Click on BH456A in the link below and you can select either windows or linux download.

BH456A

Thanks for staying with this.
Thanks for sharing the source, I'll have a look this evening or this weekend. Want to see if I can get it done first myself in vm before I try to explain it.

Members online