Blurred and scrambled video in VLC

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone have a great day:)
This problem occurs every time I tried to play any 720p or higher resolution videos. But it only occurs in vlc, not in MPV, MPV plays the video without any issue. I am not a fan of MPV, So I don't want to use it.
If you guys know any solution It would be a great help
Screenshot_2022-03-02_14-54-21.png
Screenshot_2022-03-02_14-54-30.png

I have seen this behavior in big corrupted video files mostly while scrolling through the timeline.
You can test if the Snap/Flatpak versions of vlc work better. You could also try to purge the package and reinstall it if you havent already.
I have a problem of vlc crashing so I use celluloid (mpv gui) till this is resolved.

Which Linux are you running ?

Where did the vlc install come from ?

Okay, I have reinstalled VLC but the problem is still there. I am running Zorin os 16 lite. Vlc is installed from the Zorin repro

I am not familiar with Zorin.....does it have Drivers listed in the menu?....type in Drivers....what comes up ?....if it offers to install codecs, allow it to.

Look in the repro for 'appimage pool'

that will give you a version of vlc to download.

If that is not present, ... https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Version 3.0.16 • Linux

Is this earlier or later than the one you have installed?

.if it offers to install codecs, allow it to.
No drivers do not show up. Can you give the command to install codecs ,but if my memory is correct I have installed essential codecs as soon after fresh the install of Zorin

I have found drivers menu but it shows no drivers available
2022-03-03_12-10.png

VLC for Ubuntu and many other Linux distributions is packaged using snapcraft. This allows us to distribute latest and greatest VLC versions directly to end users, with security and critical bug fixes, full codec and optical media support.
If you wish to install the traditional deb package, it is available as usual via APT, with all security and critical bug fixes. However, there will be no major VLC version updates until the next Ubuntu release.
So I guess I need to install VLC via flatpak or snap. It would be a great help if there is a ppa available

I have installed the latest version of vlc (flatpak) but the problem is still there:(

Getting the latest VLC version in Ubuntu (NOT RECOMMENDED)​

If you see the details of the package, you may find that the version of VLC available in the Ubuntu repositories is not the latest one.

If you really want the latest VLC, here’s the trick to get it.

VLC project maintains an official PPA that provides the latest development version of VLC media player. If you really want the daily build VLC version, you can use this PPA.

Maintained daily and updated as recently as 16 hours ago.

You need to read the links.

I can't vouch for it working, that's up to you.

Wizard

Your choice, I can't make that for you.

Wizard

According to reports I see on Reddit, the latest builds have problems,

The version I am running is 3.0.9.2-1
It is the version held in the linux mint 20.3 repositories

3.0.9.2-1
that was the version I was running at the beginning now I have purged it and replaced it with flatpak's latest version so I guess the problem is with both the versions

That is fairly unlikely.......and yet I seem to remember you saying another player was ok.....

I would file an bug report with Zorin Lite

In the meantime is there another video player you use......while you wait for feedback from Zorin ?

I am out of time here tonight, but a search for a vlc error page or similar may prove useful.

Adithyansm wrote:
I guess the problem is with both the versions

And Condobloke wrote:
That is fairly unlikely.

I am a regular user of vlc. The present version I use is 3.0.16 (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2) on debian, which isn't the same as the ones mentioned so what I have to say may not apply. However, I think Condobloke has a point since two different vlc versions on the same hardware behaving the same way may be suggestive of something other than an issue caused by vlc alone given that later versions have improvements to iron out earlier issues. It's not always the case of course, but that thought came to mind together with the following.

In the past when I've had distorted video, not identical to that described because it's just too hard for me to compare it from static imagery, but I have been able to correct the video by adjusting a few of the controls. First, from the menu bar, there's the "tools" section which includes "effects and filters" and "track synchronisaton" configs among others to play around with. Then in the "video" section which has "aspect ratio", "deinterlace on/off" and "deinterlace mode". There's a lot there that is adjustable to see how it affects the video. It can be a tedious task going through these variables because one needs to alter them one at a time, and then together in ways that you record for yourself so that you don't end up lost in morass of alterations not knowing with certainty what you've done. I usually paused the video to make an adjustment, but sometimes had to quit vic and restart with the adjustments. It's a laborious task, but the result for me was a vlc that worked in the end. Fortunately I haven't had these problems recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online