boot does not show usb option

ydg

Reaction score
Credits
I have a windows 10 system and trying to dual boot linux.
I am following step by step this link:
but right at the usb -installer step, the option fat32ffd doesn't show,
so I am forced to choose UUI 337GB NTFS HDD.
After going to "disk management" I have tried to select "shrink volume"
first on C: and then, since it didn't work, on D: .
Anyway, both options gave me the same problem.
Once I restart the system and I press F12, the USB option does not show.
I have been trying and playing with the system for awhile now, but nothing seems to work.
Thanks

Did you first burn the ISO to the usb drive with a utility such as Rufus so the the usb drive becomes bootable?

Unfortunately, as a beginner, I am not sure what you mean, but anyway, I doubt I have done any of the things that you suggested, since I have never heard of Rufus, and I followed step by step the directions on the link I posted above, which doesn't mention anything regarding bootability, ISO and so on. Keep in mind that the link I am following instructs to use a "virtual" USB.

I'm a newbie too but here's what I know, you do not want to install Linux in "virtual", what I believe that means is install Linux inside of Windows, kind of like software running inside of Windows, Linux would be running inside of Windows. I don't think that's what you want, most people install Linux so that it runs as an operating system independent of Windows. I think what you are looking to do is to install Linux alongside windows so that when you turn on the computer you can choose which operating system to launch.

ISO is the linux file that you download. After you have downloaded it you need to burn it to a usb drive and to do that you need a little software program like Rufus. That's what I used, it's free and easy to do, do a google search on how to burn iso with Rufus. When you burned Linux on usb drive then you can plug it into your computer and try Linux out and/or install it.

Don't attempt to install linux on your computer until you understand all the steps to be taken, read several tutorials on installing Linux and ask questions in forums if there is something you don't get.

When you are ready to install choose the option that says "Install alongside Windows" when you get to the part in the installer that says "how would you like to install Linux"? This way you won't have to bother with partitions because the installer will make them for you.

Last edited:
you are absolutely right. I am trying to install linux alongside windows, and I want to be able to choose which operating system I wanna use once I turn on my PC.
Your reply however is still confusing me a bit.
You said to use rufus to put linux into the virtual USB, but how come that the link I posted in the beginning mentions nothing about it? It just mentions about the virtual USB. All I want to know is: why the virtual USB option does not show among the booting options once I restart the system ?

The tutorial doesn't say anything about making a "virtual usb". Step 1 is telling you to make a live usb. This is the burning of the ISO to the usb drive, the tutorial refers to it as "writing the image (ISO) to a disk" (usb drive). The tutorial recommends Universal USB installer instead of Rufus. I think Rufus is better because you won't have to enable "legacy boot" in your BIOS like you would if you use some other burning utility. Maybe that is why you aren't seeing your usb drive in the boot option. Do a search for "how to enable legacy boot in Windows 10" if you don't know how to enable it.

When you are able to boot with the live usb drive do not follow step 2 about making partitions, it is too complicated for a beginner and that is where most people get tripped up.

Step 5 says "If you see the option to Install Linux Mint alongside Windows, you can select that. Linux Mint will handle things on its own. If you do that, skip step 5 and step 6." Yes this is what you want to do. If you don't see that option cancel the install, you will have to figure out why the installer isn't giving you the option to "Install alongside Windows".

By choosing the option to "Install alongside Windows" the installer will make the Linux partition for you and won't mess anything up. When you click "Continue" you will be shown 2 panes representing how much Linux took for itself and how much will be left for Windows, you can leave it as is or you can drag your mouse pointer between the panes to make the Linux partition smaller or bigger. After that the installation will be straight forward.

Last edited:
thank you for your advice.
I have been checking this website: https://linuxhint.com/dual_boot_linux_mint_windows/
since it includes 'rufus',but now I am a bit confused.
At this point my question is:
Do I actually need to get a flash drive in order to follow all the steps listed in this link?
If so, how big should it be?
Let me please know if I am misunderstanding this passage.

Yes you need to get Linux on a flash drive before you can install it on your computer. The size doesn't need to be large, 4 gigs is all that's needed. Rufus is very simple:

1. Open Rufus, plug in the usb drive (flash drive) and Rufus will automatically detect it. (see picture)

2. Click select and navigate to were you have the Linux file (ISO) and open it. The name of the ISO will appear in the second dropdown box (see picture)

Leave the rest in Rufus as you see it in the picture. Click "START" and let Rufus do its job, it will take a few minutes. When it's finished close Rufus.

Your flash drive is now ready but before you can boot into Linux you need to turn off "fast startup" on your computer, do a google search if you don't know how.

You're now ready to boot your flash drive into Linux and install Linux on the computer or just try it out without installing it:

Shut down your computer. With the usb stick plugged in turn on your computer and press the boot button, it's usually one of the F keys on your keyboard, if you don't know which one do a search for "boot key" of your computer's manufacturer, be sure to include laptop or desktop because sometimes the boot key is different on each one.

Once you get to boot options with the boot key, use the arrow buttons on your keyboard to select your usb stick from the list and press "Enter". Few seconds later you will see another screen with the first item already selected which should be Linux, press "Enter" and wait for Linux to load. (be patient might take a bit since it's booting from a flash drive)

Once you see the Linux desktop you can give it a try, it's fully functional. There is an install icon on the desktop, when you feel confident double click on it to install Linux on your computer. If you are not quite ready yet, click the "Mint" button on the bottom left corner, click the power button and shutdown the computer.

Hope that helped explain what you are suppose to do.

Members online

Latest posts