Boot Problems on HP

Cyborg13

Reaction score
Credits
I need some help with booting Fedora on my HP laptop. I've read that HPs are notoriously problematic with Linux, but that's what I've got. Right now, I do have Linux Mint on there alongside Windows 10, but it doesn't run well and after trying several different distros on my old laptop, I think I prefer Fedora Workstation.
Basically, when trying to boot from the USB, everything runs fine until it gets to "Started Gnome Display Manager" which it says was OK, but then it stops. It'll wait there for a while then change to a black screen, and that's it. Secure boot is already disabled
I've read that there may be a problem with drivers for the NVidia card, that it will require proprietary drivers. I'm OK with this, but need to learn how to get around this so I can at least boot it to begin with.

When the Live installer has booted to the initial screen, you can usually select an option to modify the boot parameters. Select that option and add the "nomodeset" (without the quote marks). Then proceed into the Live session and see of that corrects the problem.

It is a video driver problem, and it may also follow into the installation. But, there are solutions for that, too. If you get to an actual Live session, you can check out the hardware and see if there may be opportunities to be explored - post-install.

Give it a try, at least for the live session and see if that works. One step at a time.

I found some options to edit the parameters but they don't match the code I've found from searching for the "nomodeset" fix. Maybe there's a different place to do this that I'm not finding. I did find the option to boot into basic graphics mode, and that works to boot into the live session.