Booting a linux os hard drive in another box?

Nathantu

Credits
I wondered if it was possible to boot a linux os hard drive taken from one box and placed in another box, so I tried it. The grub menu loaded, then the linux os started booting and then stopped in mid stream. I know I could slave the drive, but I wanted to boot it. Is the drive hardware specific to the box it came from?

HaxNet

Credits
I'm no expert, but when the distro was installed, wouldn't the drivers be pretty specific to your old box's hardware?
That's like trying to put an Xbox's hard drive and put it in a PS box and booting it. But what do I know?

Vrai

Credits
I wondered if it was possible to boot a linux os hard drive taken from one box and placed in another box, so I tried it. The grub menu loaded, then the linux os started booting and then stopped in mid stream. I know I could slave the drive, but I wanted to boot it. Is the drive hardware specific to the box it came from?
I have actually done this before and everything worked fine :)
May have been just a lucky coincidence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unlike Microsoft, Apple, and others there is NO vendor lock-in when installing Linux.
But as @HaxNet noted - there may be specific drivers which are needed for the second box.

Vrai

Credits
Could you provide more info about what distro is installed?
I believe it was Ubuntu or possibly Debian. It has been a few years but I'm pretty sure it was Ubuntu.
I recall being very surprised that it worked!
Ran like a charm :) I cannot recall if I had to install any different or additional drivers. I don't think so.

HaxNet

Credits
I believe it was Ubuntu or possibly Debian. It has been a few years but I'm pretty sure it was Ubuntu.
I recall being very surprised that it worked!
Ran like a charm :) I cannot recall if I had to install any different or additional drivers. I don't think so.
I think @LorenDB was asking OP lol but it's all good.

LorenDB

Credits
I was asking the OP but @Vrai that's good to know... I would assume that all the built-in drivers would be in the Linux kernel and not need installed.

Latest posts