Booting a linux os hard drive in another box?

Williamm

Credits
I wondered if it was possible to boot a linux os hard drive taken from one box and placed in another box, so I tried it. The grub menu loaded, then the linux os started booting and then stopped in mid stream. I know I could slave the drive, but I wanted to boot it. Is the drive hardware specific to the box it came from?

Condobloke

Credits
G'day sirius Williamm and Welcome to linux.org

Vrai

Credits
It is possible. I have done it. Perhaps I just got lucky but everything worked fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think it can work but a lot is going to depend on the hardware and whether or not the drivers are there.

jglen490

Credits
I've done it a few times. Here's why I say that. I've replaced the motherboard on my desktop unit more than once. I left the hard drive in place, installed the new MB, plugged in everything, set up the BIOS or UEFI as needed, and booted.

I can't say it'll work 100% of the time, but there are very few reason that it won't work. When you switch machines (or motherboards), you are likely changing the basic platform for the original system to OS was installed to. You may run into a driver issue, but if it works at all, then you are in good shape. If it doesn't work at all, then you do a clean install.

Of course rule #1, backup your data first.

dos2unix

Credits
Whenever I've done this... I've usually had to re-run the initrd.

For redhat/centOS/fedora you run... dracut -f

There is likely something similar for Ubuntu.

jglen490

Credits
Be curious.

Connect the hard drive in the other machine, turn it on, see what happens. Getting actual error messages, or simple success, is much better than speculation!

rjsrjs

Credits
I Timeshifted Linux Mint 18.0 from and old ACER to an older Gateway and everything worked perfectly on the Gateway laptop. No errors no nothing wrong. Thats the only time I ever did this. Of course now I'm using mint mate 19.3 on a Lenovo T430. Works great and don't plan on upgrading to mint 20 anytime soon.

Last edited:

Condobloke

Credits
Well done rjsrjs !!!.....good use of Timeshift too !

Welcome to linux.org

Latest posts