Bootup issue - drive not ready or present

R

Rene Thomas

Hello Linux community.

This is a question trebly related to getting started in that -
  1. I am starting to learn Linux
  2. My laptop has only just started with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
  3. The problem is with starting the computer up
Can anyone tell me what the error message below means?

The disk drive for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 is not ready or present?
I am asked to choose between waiting, pressing S to skip, or M to unmount the drive.

It only takes a second of waiting before it boots up, but I wonder -

Might this explain why I can't access the Command Line / Terminal via the Dash button on the launcher? I can only get to it with Ctrl + Alt + T

Anyone out there knowing what's going on, especially with the Terminal?

That message you're seeing at boot-time isn't anything to worry about. I assume that when you installed Ubuntu you went with some encryption options (full disk encryption, or an encrypted /home/ folder or something). It just means that the encrypted volume has not been mounted yet. Waiting is usually the best bet, it shouldn't take too long to mount!

However, that message is definitely NOT going to affect your access to the terminal in Unity's dash/launcher. This is a separate problem.

I'm not an Ubuntu/Unity user - I can't stand the Unity Desktop UI. So I don't know if I'm going to be much help, because I haven't used it much. But if you could let us know some more details about the symptoms of your terminal-related problem, perhaps someone else might be able to help you out!
e.g.
Why can't you access the terminal via the launcher?
Were you able to before? What has changed? Has the icon for it disappeared? or is something else happening? (or perhaps, not happening?!) .....

Personally, I prefer launching programs with keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+Alt+T suits me! Far quicker and easier than having to reach all that way to the mouse and then point and click on an icon. Just move my fingers and hit a key combo! ;) But that's just me!

Dear JasKinasis,

Thank you for that. I agree that it's easier to launch the terminal using the keyboard shortcut, but it is puzzling me, nonetheless.

I haven't managed to use Linux until recently, as I found it impossible to install on my last laptop, so I don't really understand what you mean by "I'm not an Ubuntu/Unity user - I can't stand the Unity Desktop UI." I gather there are many other ways of having my Linux desktop arranged though

Until a week ago I would type "terminal" into the Dash search bar and it would show me the icon(s) for the Command Line before I'd even finished typing it.

Now, since I fruitlessly tried to use the Dash search bar to find a file I'd downloaded, the Dash bar brings up a grid of items arranged into sections like "Weather", "Reference" and "More suggestions". It looks like the youtube homepage in its layout, and the search results are related to "terminal", but are for a medley of items, such as the dictionary definition of a terminal, articles about airport terminals, a film called the terminal...

I have noticed the Dash program can search for files, applications, videos, music and social, but I have set it back to Home, which is how I assume it was when I was using it to access the Terminal recently.

Solved this problem now, so if anyone else has it:--

From the DASH / Unity program, move the mouse down to the grey bar of icons at the bottom of the screen, ->

Click on the second from the left, which is a capital A with a ruler across it, meaning Applications, ->

Then scroll right to the end of the list to "Applications". It has the same symbol of the A crossed with a ruler, but for some reason comes after "Z" even though the list is in alphabetical order. ->

Then click "Enable", then click the mouse in an empty area of the screen to return to the main DASH menu.

Solved this problem now:--

From the DASH / Unity program, move the mouse down to the grey bar of icons at the bottom of the screen, ->

Click on the second from the left, which is a capital A with a ruler across it, meaning Applications, ->

Then scroll right to the end of the list to "Applications". It has the same symbol of the A crossed with a ruler, but for some reason comes after "Z" even though the list is in alphabetical order. ->

Then click "Enable", then click the mouse in an empty area of the screen to return to the main DASH menu.

You should now be able to access the Terminal from DASH again, if your Ubuntu works anything like mine.

I'm glad you fixed your problem. :)

Perhaps you should copy the launcher to the dektop? If you want to, copy the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/ to ~/Desktop. You shouldn't be able to loose it then.

As a side note, have you tried Terminator?

Hi ryanvade.

I already have the launcher fixed to the left edge of the desktop screen. It was already in place there when I installed Ubuntu 14.04.

It is just as well, as if it weren't I wouldn't know how to move the file in the way you suggested. I am learning Command Line, but very slowly :eek:

As for Terminator, what does it do for you and why do you recommend it?

Members online