Brand New Desktop Build: Intel AC 9260 and Slackware

try this one for me latex2html , just noticed its available via slpkg , there are no deps ( i maintain slackbuild for it!)

find it: # slpkg -F latex2html
Packages with name matching [ latex2html ]

+==============================================================================
| Repository Package Size
+==============================================================================
sbo latex2html-2019.2 0 K

Found summary
===============================================================================
Total found 1 packages in 1 repositories.

bash-5.0#

install it: bash-5.0# slpkg -s sbo latex2html
//one quirk is that , you don't need to type the -2019.2 bit

Basically yes, there are a couple of Caveats which i might get to later .
lets take an example. there is a command in slpkg :
# slpkg repo-enable
//that allows you to pick repo's that have packages; but its a gui so you need

python2-pythondialog

that is available via sbo and i think thats a default repo in slpkg.

So try this: # slpkg -F python2-pythondialog
// F is the find flag, you should see on executing this command that , that packge is found in sbo .

To install it use: # slpkg -s sbo python2-pythondialog
Package python2-pythondialog-3.4.0-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz installed.
Completed!

because your using current open this file in nano or vim : /etc/slpkg/slpkg.conf

look for this line:
# Set Slackware release "stable" or "current". Default is "stable".
after it ,you should see:
RELEASE=stable

chnage it to :
RELEASE=current

now you can execute
# slpkg repo-enable
I changed the RELEASE to current. Thanks for telling me.
For repos I have alien, slack and sbo enabled.

well it depends on who you ask. On another forum who's name won't be mentioned they would have told you that you should install stable , because current is hard. Even though its nearly 3 years old. If you have 14.2 stable and spent a lot of time and built up a lot of stuff you would have a bit of a problem when 15 comes out. If you look at updating with slackpkg
there is mention of blacklist this and do that.

I don't know how far the release of 15 is but ...your using current so its 3 years nearer is it not ? to the release of 15 than 14.2

Bit to answer your question succinctly I had an email back from Willy over at slackbuilds. I put the question to him that I installed current in September travel for 6 months to Africa was immientent and that the internet is so bad i probably couldn't do much in the way of updates. An extract from an email from him is this"

Once you install -current at this point (per September 28), you don't
have to follow everything else when you have some difficulties with
Internet connection. You can stay with what you have now and upgrade it
later when you came back.

Current is now using 4.19.x branch of the kernel which is considered a
LTS kernel, but things might move on when Slackware 15.0 gets released.
It could stay at 4.19 or even 5.4 as mentioned here
(https://people.kernel.org/gregkh/next-long-term-supported-kernel-release)" now reading between the lines my thinking for me is this : I have current which is at least pretty up to date; I have working packages and a stable system. Its my personal laptop with clamav, firewall and chkrootkit. I will only be checking emails vis internet , so whats the probability of a problem due to some element of securoty being out of date, I would say the same chance of meeting a Green Man from mars.
"

So for me talking about an update to main system i might wait until release of 15. If you are talking about slpkg update , that only updates the repo for packages. So you can do that I guess as often as you like. If you want to use slackpkg to do a general update then do a lot of reading first. rather than being paranoid updating every week I would approach updates on a quantum leap basis

Last edited:
So for me talking about an update to main system i might wait until release of 15. If you are talking about slpkg update , that only updates the repo for packages. So you can do that I guess as often as you like. If you want to use slackpkg to do a general update then do a lot of reading first. rather than being paranoid updating every week I would approach updates on a quantum leap basis
Roger that-

Slackware is running great on this new build and I have no complaints.

Thanks for your time and help mate.

what i can say is that I have been running current for a few months now using exclusively slpkg , couple of small trial and error , when one package from one repo didn't work i just removed it , with deps and tried another. I have chromium, clamav, libreoffice5, cinelerra , geany and a few others and all installed seamlessly.
That's great news.
I like chromium but grew tired of having to keep installing the new one so I stick with FF.

Slackware is running very well on this new rig.

Minus one hiccup. I have to keep fixing the clock after coming from being booted into Mint.
Any idea why the clock is wrong?

Fixed the clock by running timeconfig and selecting UTC.

Members online

Latest posts