Brave Browser build for Slackware 15? SOLVED

forester

Reaction score
Credits
Hello to all!

After wireless fails and other issues using the distros pclos, antiX, devuan, and a puppy linux, Slackware is, so far, the most stable in my situation. NOT my first choice, but suit me until the newest Salix release. However, I like Brave but am feeling perhaps too laid back today, so . . .
Perhaps @captain-sensible or another here knows of an easy install of latest stable or beta for Slackware 15?

hi forester you can get a build here: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/network/brave-browser/?search=brave

you need to download 2 files : brave-browser.tar.gz and brave-browser-1.42.86-1.x86_64.rpm.
use archive manager or command line to unpack brave-browser.tar.gz to a directory, say on your desktop. Drag and drop file brave-browser-1.42.86-1.x86_64.rpm into the directory. From a terminal emulator cd into directory
.In the directory there should be a file called something like brave-browser.SlackBuild

give it permission to run like sudo chmod a +x brave-browser.SlackBuild

then in the context of still being in brave-browser directory from terminal :

./brave-browser.SlackBuild

It it rund and prodcuses a package it will tell you; it will go to /tmp directory.

Install as route using full path: installpkg /tmp/brave-browser.tgz
or cd to tmp and install there

@captain-sensible

Downloaded the files then moved from /tmp to /opt for later manipulation.
Went back, the brave-browser file is .tar.gz, so renamed and ran. No go.
Will have to get into how to manage packages better.

I had moved all files produced from /tmp to /opt prior to running the command if this could affect outcome.

-------------------------

So far, very happy with Slackware 15.0 and OEM apps, except Brave. Stability and ease of wifi connection are admirable. Sound can be a pain, but I'll avoid kernel upgrade, for now.

All-in-all, Slackware 15.0 beats the current Debian/'buntu distros I've tried by a considerable distance in some cases for ease of install, hardware recognition, and post-install stability.

the download of brave-browser.tar.gz is correct. Download to your Desktop

First stage :

Code:
$ tar -xf brave-browser.tar.gz

lets take it step by step , can you replicate ?

I ran the command as root in the work directory created originally.

That link is a good place to START!
Alright, I'll do it again from the start.

I've other chores to do, first. So, hold on!

Peace and Happiness to ya!

That link is a good place to START!
Alright, I'll do it again from the start.

I've other chores to do, first. So, hold on!

Peace and Happiness to ya!
plenty of time don't rush ; try and give output here for each stage .

when you have unpacked the tar.gz you should see a directory called brave-browser containing :

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~/Desktop]$ tree -L 2 brave-browser                      (08-11 13:33)
brave-browser
├── brave-browser.info
├── brave-browser.SlackBuild
├── doinst.sh
├── README
└── slack-desc

the advantage of going for a build to create a package is that , as the build runs it checks your system, so its going to be much more compatible than an already formed package .

For those that like light reading i wrote about a slackbuild here: https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:misc:anatomy_of_a_slackbuild

Compliments GIMP
brave-build_01.jpg

ok once you have unpacked that download, you then need to also downloadv this file( which YOu will not unpack) :
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/download/v1.42.86/brave-browser-1.42.86-1.x86_64.rpm

instead you will drag and drop , so NOW the contents are :

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~/Desktop][1]$ tree -L 2   brave-browser                 (08-11 21:00)
brave-browser
├── brave-browser-1.42.86-1.x86_64.rpm
├── brave-browser.info
├── brave-browser.SlackBuild
├── doinst.sh
├── README
└── slack-desc

there is no sign of brave-browser-1.42.86-1.x86_64.rpm as far as I can see on your images above .

Then from a terminal emulator CD into brave-browser

as root , # chmod a+x brave-browser.SlackBuild
# ./brave-browser.SlackBuild

SO basically , you download 2 files, but only unpack 1, and drag other into it .
When i first started using slackware i often wondered which is the file to unpack? Its always the simple one , no
verions in it.

Did as instructed and cd /tmp =>

Code:
root@localhost:/tmp# installpkg brave-browser-1.42.86-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
Cannot install brave-browser-1.42.86-x86_64-1_:  file not found
-su: SBo.tgz: command not found
root@localhost:/tmp#
I noted a line flash by on build that said something about not being able to manipulate a 'dangling symlink'. I probably created it in a prior attempt.

Here' what's in /tmp

brave-build_02.jpg

Attachments

• brave-build_03.jpg
    brave-build_03.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 213
ok at least you got a package ; the good news is that now you can browse slackbuilds.org for anything you want and create a package. Just a bit of fine tuning after that.

don't look in the build src directories, its just going to confuse you. When it built on the command line it should have said package blah blah built at/tmp/etc etc

all you had to do was from where you were copy that full path , so from the build directory on your Desktop it would have been : #installpkg /full/path/tofile/

to get to root command is either su->root password or su -
note hyphen with one space after su.

Its easier if you set up sudo on slackware by editing sudoersw file.

So to summarize created package will be at /tmp (at least from memory lol)

with
Code:
 brave-browser-1.42.86-x86_64-1_
are you sure you copy and pasted whole file details ?

but your more than half way there.

ok just give me output from terminal of please : ls /tmp

also you can just try # installpkg brave-browser

//see if name is just enough

Also there is another approach , re-run the build and take precise not at end path to file , copy and past using
ctl + alt + c and then to paste ctl + alt + v

or you can play with smaller builds and play with them until you get the last stage correct.
eg play with this one :

I suppose its fair to say I know a little about this one.

Once you get get it right you can then have access to anything thats on slackbuilds

Last edited:
forester wrote:
an easy install of latest stable or beta
I'm not up with modern slackware, but I did have great affection for it when I loaded it some time ago from a dozen floppies to get "dark star" running productively at the time.

On the matter of installing the brave browser "easily" though, the easiest way I've done it on a few different distros (debian and fedora) has been distro-agnostic, so not integrated into the packaging systems of the distro, but fully functional nevertheless. I downloaded a nightly build .zip version from here: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases, created a directory for it in my home directory, unzipped it in that directory and then just ran ./brave from in there. It worked. Then I created a simple command for it in /home/<user>/bin, made that file executable with chmod, which basically looks like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/home/<username>/<directory_where_brave_was_unzipped>/brave

Then the command "brave" brings it up. Easy, no root involved, but alas, not slackware. This method runs a number of browsers on one of my systems and has been trouble free. Updating is manual.

Last edited:
@osprey yeah , if i type "which brave" i get
/usr/bin/brave

and for some things like composer i just stick the executable manually as you say . But theres a few reasons to go with a build and then install using installpkg.

A build checks the PC architecture, will tell you if there are missing deps and even in the case of clamav if you need to create groups for it.

But the main thing is pkgs are cleaning installed , the system "knows" about them and you can cleanly remove them. Its also going to be clean and tidy when the source updates and you want to install newer version over older pkg.

used to be upgradepkg with use of % . i'm getting slightly rusty with Slackware as i'm now on Arch. If i get another spare PC i will certainly install slackware15 just to see whats new.

forester has got past the heavy lifting of creating a package , it should now be a cinch to install it ..

Yes captain-sensible. I take all your points, a valid, true and proper way to go. My post was an outlier from the unorthodoxy of my experience.

@osprey -- hey, we're all outliers to one degree or another! Thanks for the input.

I knew what I was getting into installing Slackware. Now I learn something different and how to do it the Slack way. After 12 years of Debian and ubuntu flavors with a few independents and an Arch flavor or two thrown in, "familiar" is growing boring and I now have enough foundational knowledge to delve with some seriousness into the most UNIX-like GNU/Linux distro.

@captain-sensible -- the /tmp/SBo folder is apparently a remnant of running doinst.sh previously. I will clean up things and try again. Meanwhile, Life gets in the way with things I must do. Thanks for patience.

@osprey -- hey, we're all outliers to one degree or another! Thanks for the input.

I knew what I was getting into installing Slackware. Now I learn something different and how to do it the Slack way. After 12 years of Debian and ubuntu flavors with a few independents and an Arch flavor or two thrown in, "familiar" is growing boring and I now have enough foundational knowledge to delve with some seriousness into the most UNIX-like GNU/Linux distro.

@captain-sensible -- the /tmp/SBo folder is apparently a remnant of running doinst.sh previously. I will clean up things and try again. Meanwhile, Life gets in the way with things I must do. Thanks for patience.
take your time .....

One thing about slackware is there is a good number of years in release cycle by benevolent dictator ; maybe next one 6 years ?

Members online