Brave Browser

• Thread starter Deleted member 101831
  • Start date
I don't like the fact that Brave has a rewards system,

Definitely a new concept or at least one I ain't seen until Brave.

A browser that blocks ads by default but pays rewards for allowing certain content to be displayed as per user settings / desire.

you can completely turn off the rewards system and get the best experience
also you can remove the rewards icon from the url bar
also chromium is the most basic browser

Yep I have mine turned off although may enable it just to see what ads are displayed.

Maybe because Brave, like damn near every browser available, is based on Chromium.

It sure seems that most of the new browsers are Chrome clones.

Long live Firefox! (Firefox is NOT based on Chromium.) :)

I like Firefox it has and still is my go to browser.

I sure would like to see more competition in this market. Imagine if you only had ONE Linux distro to choose from, like Ubuntu-only, with it's variants. That's almost what the browser market has become. Dominance is a bad thing, even if they provide good products... this partly explains my love-hate relationship with Google.

I like variety myself although big corporations like Amazon and Google and Microsoft seem to want to run everything and do for most users.

Yeah I use Microsoft although I'm not a fan of Amazon or Google.

I use Microsoft although I'm not a fan of Amazon or Google.
I use all three, but I'm always looking for alternatives too. You could throw Walmart into the bunch too. Big behemoths like these give us lower prices (or "free" goodies), and that is the bottom line for a lot of folks. But they have put a lot of smalll mom-and-pop stores and products out of business. That's sad. :(

Even this website is a brave verifed creator:cool:
brave.png

you even donate to this website via BAT aka brave rewards

No Brave for arm64. Firefox is my main browser that I use 99% of the time. I also have Vivaldi, Librewolf, and Tor Browser installed , but I rarely use any of them.

Yeah I'll only go to Walmart at shotgun point I hate Walmart.

I try and support mom and pop stores and we have a few little neighborhood markets that are mom and pop run stores which is rare these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Librewolf, and Tor Browser installed , but I rarely use any of them.
I couldn't get Librewolf to install on PCLinuxOS and gave up but will try later down the road.

I'm also a bit uncertain about a lot of the bad stuff I read about the Tor browser but until I've actually install Tor and use it I really can't say how it is cause I'm not an armchair user.

I need to dig into Brave browser more and investigate Tor as it seems to have Tor within it but again haven't got that far yet.

I did download Chromium just to compare settings with Brave and yeah Brave has a bunch of settings not offered in Chromium although wondering if that offers any real advantages.

So who benefits the reward does Brave pay rewards to the user or to the one advertising.

Both Brave and the site are supposed to benefit from the BAT, but I'm not sure how far they've come. Last I know, website owners were still not getting anything from it.

As for your initial question:

I use Brave to catch up on what they're doing. It's not one of my main browsers, but it is installed. I usually check it out when I want to see what's new, or maybe browse something in a different browser for any number of reasons.

So who benefits the reward does Brave pay rewards to the user or to the one advertising.
Actually you get paid with BAT first and then you can contribute to the verified website by donating with BAT instead of money if you wish to
You get paid with BAT once a month depending on number of Ads you have seen in that month
Ads are usually shown as a notification.
You can completely turn it off in the rewards settings

I'll just install it for the sake of the topic of this thread and see how I find it, that way I'll have at least tried it.

Wikipedia have a good article here on Brave, and it explains the BAT system, Tor support, Chromium connection and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

It's actually been around for 5 years last January so not exactly new, but I had not encountered it until Rob mentioned it 2 years ago.

Welcome to linux.org @Harshith Reddy

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

After having tried Brave for a day, I do have to admit I like it better than all the other Chromium based browsers I have tried because the interface seems smoother but I still prefer Firefox.

After having tried Brave for a day, I do have to admit I like it better than all the other Chromium based browsers I have tried because the interface seems smoother but I still prefer Firefox.
Vivaldi is my favorite Chromium-based browser, but it is seldom used as I prefer Firefox also. I tried Brave awhile back and was not interested... I don't think that has changed for me.

I like Brave browser it seems to work well and with only the default settings OOTB.

I'll have to do some reading on it and see if it has its own sandbox and also do some reading on the Tor stuff that it comes with.

I may wind up using Brave as my standard everyday browser and use Firefox for certain other things.

So far Brave browser is A-OK.

There is no best browser for everyone
With that I heartily concur!
I use Brave and Firefox.
Firefox mainly for the social sites I do frequent but serious searches I do through Brave as well as watch YouTube so I can watch the vids I am interested in without plurry worry of ads popping up just as it is getting interesting but not logged in to YouTube in Brave.
The on this site Linux Org I access on both browsers, as this site since when it is on Brave, it stops the ads appearing when I click on forums and yes I am aware it generates some revenue.
Since I read a lot, Brave is good when having to extract paragraphs of interest in the topic I am reading without much messing up of the text, only occasionally due to marks on the books page when they scanned it. While I am reading I also am using dictionaries to get the meaning of a word so I just need to swap from tag to tag.
But on the lap top I use Opera.
On Brave I am not restricted to one search engine have a Choice of six but discount Google and Bing there are four to choose from.
It like all things have its limitations but they are work around-able. So to satisfy my requirements I require two browsers.

Yeah I'll only go to Walmart at shotgun point I hate Walmart.
Yep! I can understand you and @stan , after listening to various stories from reddit and also from other more mundane but factual sources. It also wouldn't be the go to place for me to acquire what I need to live my life.

Brave also comes with more options on Secure DNS. Go to the settings > search for secure DNS > Security > With > Custom > Select from the drop-down menu, like Quad9, NextDNS, Cloudflare.

Staff online