Bricked my linux macbook, oops!

N

nephilim

I was running Xubuntu 13.04 on my macbook 2,1 (2007) 1.83ghz, intel i915 graphics, 2gb RAM, and some strange error #132 memory errors continued to come up while attempting to log into WoW on wine 1.7.

After graphics installs and reg tweaks I still had a problem and decided to check my RAM with memtest 86 on boot. After an hour of testing it said it passed yet continued to run. The Esc and "c" button had no effect even as my only options in the memtest. After another hour I decided to force power-off by holding the power button down.

Big mistake. Now the macbook has no response to hitting the power button! BRICK. No sound. No lights.

I've done a lot of research online (mostly mac forums) and tried smc reset, pvram reset, different configurations with the RAM and holding the power button on, unplugging the mag power cord, using my gf's mag power cord, removing the battery (which is a new OEM replacement from a month ago). My top case w/ keyboard is also new/used.

Anything else you all can think of? Or do I have a new frisbee to bring camping?

I think you might have done this from reading your post, but just to be sure. Try removing the battery and disconnecting the mag power cord. While battery is still out and you have no power, hold down the power button for around 10 seconds. Then put it all back together and try to power on.

Just for good measure I would hold command-option-P-R right after hitting the power. If all works right you should hear the Apple chime after a short while and then you can release the keys. This will have reset the pvram.

Let me know how it goes. If that fails I might can come up with some other tricks.

I had tried that but I gave it another shot and added the command-option-P-R, but to no avail.

I think you might need to take it to a repair shop and ask for an estimate.

Was the 2Gb of RAM one piece or two? Error 132 is about memory. But if memory went totally bad I think the laptop should show some sign of life.

Look serious.

It had 1gb of RAM and I added the second a few years ago when it was still OS X (so two 1gb's in it). Never had problems. Mint and Xubuntu took OS X's place and it ran great besides that one wine error. I tried a lot to fix the wine error before I did a memtest86 and powered down during it. That may be the last thing I every do to this computer.

I could get a broken one on eBay and frankenbook them; like my frankentruck.

hahahaha @ryanvade I literally laughed out loud a couple times during that video. Definitely made me feel better lol.

I honestly must of read about 20 websites on 132 and WoW. lol. I'm kind of almost glad its a brick right now cause I'm sick of seeing those numbers. I was messing with that crap for 3 days.

Maybe the laptop new I needed a break and this is the only way I would take one. ;)

One last idea I would recommend is to try pulling the hard drive and seeing if you can get any signs of life. The best situation would be if you could swap in a different drive that had OSX already installed on it.

I went a little further and popped the top case off. Then I used a small flat head and jumped the power through the open top case plug like jumping a solenoid on vehicle hahaha.

At first it just blinked so I removed one of the RAM pieces and the stupid thing fired up! Now I gotta see if the RAM or the port is bad. The port looks like its oozing lithium grease or something. Pretty interesting. I'm gonna go with usb hardware for now and play around.

Thanks for all the advice! and I'll post the outcome if anyone's curious.

My new top case button is not working. I still had the old top case kicking around and plugged it in and it started up. I don't think there's a way to fix the button, but it would be nice.

Members online

Latest posts