brightness not working on any distro hp victus 15 gaming laptop

Reaction score
Credits
Booted up linux on my hp laptop it has a dual GPU (and and nvidia). After I booted up as soon as the distro symbol came up the laptop dimmed. This repeated on whichever distro I've tried (Now currently on fedora). I have checked and the nvidia divers have been correctly installed using nvautoinstaller. I then changed the kernel and that also had no effect. I've even tried to manually change the /sys/class/backlight/amdgpu_bl0/brightness file which had no effect being as the slider works and also alters this file, the only difference in the brightness number is that closer to zero the screen brightens slightly and closer to 255 (max_brightness) the screens dims slightly. I don't know what else to try please help. (running fedora 36 with kernel 6.0.5-200.fc36.x86_64)

Last edited:

I'm having exactly the same problems on my HP Victus 15 (15-fb0008nt)
I couldn't boot into Manjaro and archiso.
I've tried Debian and now I am using Pop!_OS which automatically installs most of the drivers. Still brightness not working.
If you found the solution, please share it with me. My eyes are about to break from getting close to the screen.

I am having the exact same issue. I tried many distros, but they are not working. Please Help

Last edited:
I am having the exact same issue. I tried all the distros, but they are not working. Please Help

You should try starting your own thread, as this one is old.

Also, I'll bet a whole lot of money regarding that 'tried all the distros' statement. (But, I think I understand what you really meant.)

So, start a thread that details YOUR experience and YOUR stumbling blocks. Let us know what you've tried and what your results have been.

In my signature, there's a question about asking a good support question. Click that. (This isn't malice, it's helping us help you.)

You should try starting your own thread, as this one is old.

Also, I'll bet a whole lot of money regarding that 'tried all the distros' statement. (But, I think I understand what you really meant.)

So, start a thread that details YOUR experience and YOUR stumbling blocks. Let us know what you've tried and what your results have been.

In my signature, there's a question about asking a good support question. Click that. (This isn't malice, it's helping us help you.)

Excellent. Hopefully someone will know and provide an answer. Keep in mind that we're all in different time zones. It being Friday and going on 20:00, I'll be checking out shortly myself.