Browser for Linux 3.10 devices

technique

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,
Hope you are all looking forward to a better year ahead.

I have a sample in-vehicle tablet which is running Linux 3.10, which we intend to create the "DriverConsole" having all the Truck Driver communication, telematic and navigation functions.

I am looking down the avenue of JS and from what I understand, a browser is needed for this.

Can you advise wether a browser can be installed into the device, and at the same time, is it easy to access terminal on the actual device itself?

Thank you in advance,
Michael

sorry I cant find any info on your kit, all I can say is Linux 3.10 is now old but I cant tell if it can be updated , the in vehicle fitments like yours that i have come across[ not many] have all been Android

em.. not very powerful.. you will need a lightweight browser something like Midori

this is the normal way of entering terminal at boot [but not sure it will work for you.. ] www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-boot-into-linux-command-line

the more usual way would be after booting by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T [if you have a full keyboard]

It Looks to me as it's an android not linux tablet. So you most likely will have to go to the google store to get a browser that will operate on that tablet. If you have installed linux on it or someone else has can you give us a little more info on what is on it?

And which model of tablet it is they offer 3 different models on the page you referenced.
Linux 3.10 does not tell us much. Which distro. The 3.10 linux kernel if that is what you ment is way past end of life and I doubt you will find any browser that would still operate under it.

Honestly, HTML/JS seems like almost the wrong idea; exposing vehicle controls through a web browser sounds (a) difficult to do and (b) easy to introduce unintended behavior ("Why do I get a menu that says "save page as..." when I hold down on the touch screen?"). If I were writing something like this, I'd probably use Qt/QML instead. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

Something we have all missed.. have you contacted the manufacturer and asked if they can supply you with the latest linux operating system for your kit? By now I would expect them to be using Automotive Grade Linux which is loosely based an on a severely cut down version of Ubuntu and then modified by equipment manufacturers for their own needs.

Basically it is running Android 6 with Linux Kernel 3.10 like so many cell phones out there - Google Chrome is compliant for Android 6 - so any modifications must be Android 6 compliant - communications - the 7B has 4G, Bluetooth, Wifi and rs232 connections - seems to me you would need a GPS plugged into the RS232 port would give you location and telemetry, but for navigation you would need a create a data source or you could try Google Maps and Mapit GIS and run it through the 4G side

Thank you all for the answers you have provided.

I am still on Whiteboard mode and looking at the best design which I want to knock a lot of socks off.

The GPS engine is built in to the unit with an SMA Connector on the back. There is a choice wether to use Android 6 or Linux 3.10. In this instance, I chose Linux 3.10

Forgive the upcoming stupid question, If Android 6 runs on Linux 3.10 kernel, would you be able to run an android application onto the device with minimal or no modifications?

The GPS engine is built in to the unit with an SMA Connector on the back. There is a choice wether to use Android 6 or Linux 3.10. In this instance, I chose Linux 3.10

Forgive the upcoming stupid question, If Android 6 runs on Linux 3.10 kernel, would you be able to run an android application onto the device with minimal or no modifications?
As long as Android 6 is on it won't be a problem - might want to check if it is upgradable - you can get Android 9 here - https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html
Developer website here - https://www.android-x86.org/

My personal advice in this case is to get something (whether that is the tablet itself or the OS) that is more up-to-date. I don't know if you plan to have any sort of online connection or not, but if you do, using Linux 3.10 is like giving hackers a wide-open door to get into your product.

Latest posts