Building new Linux computer

mainframe 3330

Reaction score
Credits
Hello got all my computer hardware and I was hoping Kubuntu 19.04 ,Linux can use my hardware. where do I check to see if my Motherboard and all my computer parts will work. It's been 14 years since I build a Linux computer.

Hey there @mainframe 3330 - welcome to the forum!

There used to be a number of different lists to check to see if Linux would work with the various hardware out there, but It seems like they've all been deprecated.. I did find this though:

I didn't look too much into it, but it may help for your kubuntu system.

Also, you could always create a usb flash drive and run off that first to see how things work out.

Let us know how it goes!

yes 14 years ago some Linux distro's starting making a list. I using 2012 new motherboard with Intel chipset.

Yeah, i'd say build it with what you have and most likely everything will work. Also, I moved your thread to the general hardware forum.. the single board is for things like raspberry pi, odroid, etc.. :)

Edit: for the components that you're worried about - you could always google the component model name along with 'linux' and see what pops up.

If your MB was new back in 2012, then you're pretty safe in that it will be supported. When you have to worry is when your MB only came out this year or last. But install to a pen drive and see. If it boots up and runs, you're golden.

thx for your reply, I sure hope Kubuntu 19.04 will work good on it. Now have to make up my mind 250 gb or 750 gb hard drive to use lol.

The easy way is you testing your hardware with live CD/DVD

Hello got all my computer hardware and I was hoping Kubuntu 19.04 ,Linux can use my hardware. where do I check to see if my Motherboard and all my computer parts will work. It's been 14 years since I build a Linux computer.
Post the hardware you have and see what others experience using the same hardware is.

I've always had good experience with older hardware using Linux.

I agree with what TechnoJunky posted in post #6 "When you have to worry is when your MB only came out this year or last." .

Members online

Latest posts