Buzzing Noise on Dell Inspiron 3505 with Ubuntu 20.04

nerdster

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my Dell Inspiron 3505 laptop and whenever I play any sound it gives a buzzing noise in background.

Before installing Ubuntu I have windows installed in it and that time everything works fine.

It has speaker "family 17h (models 10h-1fh)" and AMD radeon graphics. I tried every method I found online but nothing seems to work for me. Please if anyone knows about it help me!!

sounds like too much gain on the pre-amp

Try going into sound settings and reduce the Input sound , see if that helps

Please if anyone knows about it
I don't know about it......but.....how does your speaker family connect to the pc ?

can you disconnect one of the speakers?(assuming there is more than one)

when did you install 20.04 ?....have there been any update since installation?

Did it produce this noise right from the get go ?...or was there a space of time where there was no buzz?

I don't know about it......but.....how does your speaker family connect to the pc ?

can you disconnect one of the speakers?(assuming there is more than one)

when did you install 20.04 ?....have there been any update since installation?

Did it produce this noise right from the get go ?...or was there a space of time where there was no buzz?
sry I don't understand. How to disconnect speakers?

No it's been 3 days to install ubuntu. and before that there was no noise after installing it started but yeah in between for just few minutes it stopped but started again.

sorry...I missed that it is a laptop.(disconnecting speakers

Have a look in the vents...located around the edge...usually at the back....are they clear?

sorry...I missed that it is a laptop.(disconnecting speakers

Have a look in the vents...located around the edge...usually at the back....are they clear?
yes Its a new laptop actually so I dont think that will be a problem

I would take a well educated guess and say it may well be a vibration between two parts internally.

It could be a speaker vibrating when the sound is turned on.

if it were mine, I would return it to the point of sale.

I would take a well educated guess and say it may well be a vibration between two parts internally.

It could be a speaker vibrating when the sound is turned on.

if it were mine, I would return it to the point of sale.
so you are saying it would be a hardware problem not ubuntu problem?

Hmm... I do have a question. How about when you use headphones, do you still get the noise then?

This wasn't true in Windows, but it's true in Linux and with headphones.

We're ruling stuff out, or at least confirming things.

I should start by telling you that I don't know what the problem is, nor do I know if we'll find a fix. But, we can try... I think I've seen this before and seen the solution - but no guarantees.

The next thing I want to have you try is a completely different distro - from a completely different family.

Download Manjaro, write it to USB with something like Balena Etcher, and then boot your computer to the new USB. In the live instance, play some music and see if the buzzing also exists in that Linux distro.

Edit: Also, does the noise increase in volume when you increase the volume?

Edit the 2nd: I actually found a link that has the fix I was thinking of. It's right here:

Those directions are pretty clear. I'd give that a shot. There's also an alternative solution on that page.

Last edited:
This wasn't true in Windows, but it's true in Linux and with headphones.

We're ruling stuff out, or at least confirming things.

I should start by telling you that I don't know what the problem is, nor do I know if we'll find a fix. But, we can try... I think I've seen this before and seen the solution - but no guarantees.

The next thing I want to have you try is a completely different distro - from a completely different family.

Download Manjaro, write it to USB with something like Balena Etcher, and then boot your computer to the new USB. In the live instance, play some music and see if the buzzing also exists in that Linux distro.

Edit: Also, does the noise increase in volume when you increase the volume?

Edit the 2nd: I actually found a link that has the fix I was thinking of. It's right here:

Those directions are pretty clear. I'd give that a shot. There's also an alternative solution on that page.
Yes noise keeps increases when you increase volume.
And yes I was also thinking the same to try some other distro with live usb to see if it's a hardware problem or os problem.
Thanks for the link I will try it out!

Yes noise keeps increases when you increase volume.
And yes I was also thinking the same to try some other distro with live usb to see if it's a hardware problem or os problem.
Thanks for the link I will try it out!
If your laptop is under warranty send it back for a new one if it's hardware related. I once got a laptop and the first day using it the speaker kept making a popping noise every 10 seconds so I sent it back and got a new one that worked fine.

If your laptop is under warranty send it back for a new one if it's hardware related. I once got a laptop and the first day using it the speaker kept making a popping noise every 10 seconds so I sent it back and got a new one that worked fine.
I have a doubt like initially they gave me windows 10 installed in it that I removed and install ubuntu in it, so will they accept it with ubuntu in it or I have to give them with windows in it?

I have a doubt like initially they gave me windows 10 installed in it that I removed and install ubuntu in it, so will they accept it with ubuntu in it or I have to give them with windows in it?
Reinstall windows on it if you can't do that then wipe out Ubuntu completely and send it back and tell them about your problem, they should accept it anyway, they may either repair it or give you a new one. I've sent devices back to manufacturers that had no OS on it and got replacements. Just tell them you wiped the computer for your privacy and having audio issues with buzzing noise.

Actually it doesn't matter if you have Ubuntu on it, just make sure there's no data of yours. Dell supports Ubuntu.

Members online