I was referring to how I've been able to continually back up my templates and coding notes with "crontab -e", but somehow it won't work with the .bash_aliases file...I tried absolute and relative pathnames. Oh well, I'm fine with just letting this whole go, I think that problem and the one highlighted in this thread are connected though.i've now tried becoming the superuser and recreating the same first steps with my home folder...and weirdly enough, i'm getting the same lack of output. I think there's some bug in Ubuntu, or just an incompatibility of the kernel with my particular hardware depending on how you look at it, with how bash reads files from the home folder...even though i've had success with cron, i recall it doing some weird stuff with it not backing up a particular file i wanted it to back up even though i double/triple checked that i was doing it all correctly. I have 44MB of updates available, i'll just let this thread die out unless someone has anything interesting to ad, ill edit this post after a system restart to see if i'm getting the same problem.
EDIT: all the updates are just virtual box upgrades...
I’ve been insanely busy recently, haven’t been online too much. Between drumming in two bands, plus work and family commitments, I’ve barely had time to stop.
Actually, this is correct...what i thought were 611 permissions were 644 permissions, and find works fine. My mistake.I’ve been insanely busy recently, haven’t been online too much. Between drumming in two bands, plus work and family commitments, I’ve barely had time to stop.
On holiday ATM, unfortunately I’m nowhere near my laptop, so can’t investigate right now.
But from looking at the previous posts, I can’t see any reason for find to be failing. if files exist that have the specified permissions it should be finding them….