can anyone help with installation please?

lucasluize

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! I've downloaded and created a bootable file of lubuntu 18.04 32bits to install into my mom's old laptop.
During installation , it could not install the software properly. So when I boot up the PC there's no GUI, only terminal.

So can someone help me install the GUI from here?
I tried to install lubuntu-core , via tasksel. But it looped and error that I needed to insert the media Into CD-ROM and try again. So I reboot, and this time I did : sudo sed -i 'cdrom/d' /etc/apt/sources.list

To see if would solve if I tried to install : sudo tasksel install lubuntu-core. And now I have a malformed line 1 in source list, so it could not be read.
I think bootable file was damaged so that was the initial problem, but can I fix it using the terminal instead of trying to re install with another media?

In advance thank you, I'm trying to learn

G'day lucasluize, and Welcome to linux.org

""old laptop""....how old ?......specs please.

How did you create the bootable file/cd etc....program used etc etc

If you use a usb stick it is perhaps easier to rectify a 'bad burn".....although a bad burn is fairly unusual...

G'day lucasluize, and Welcome to linux.org

""old laptop""....how old ?......specs please.

How did you create the bootable file/cd etc....program used etc etc

If you use a usb stick it is perhaps easier to rectify a 'bad burn".....although a bad burn is fairly unusual...

That's what I thought it was. So old is 2010, core2duo 1.6 GHz , 3gb ram 128gb ssd

1) The laptop is a 64 bit machine. It was cheaper to install Windows 32 bit, but you can install 64 bit Linux.
2) Tasksel isn't for installing odd bits of stuff. Normally you just type
Code:
takksel
...and wait because a screen should appear.
3) What does your sources list say?
Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Specs here https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-...el-graphics-media-accelerator-4500mhd-series/
1-Good to know that, so I'm downloading a 64bit version.
2- ok
3- it says "drom/d" twice

It also returns the same error, list sources could not be read, when I type tasksel.

1-Good to know that, so I'm downloading a 64bit version.
2- ok
3- it says "drom/d" twice

It also returns the same error, list sources could not be read, when I type tasksel.

enter your user name and then password. after that you can type startx in the terminal and hit enter button. you will be in gui . now you can install window manager

Last edited:
enter your user name and then password. after that you can type startx in the terminaand hit enter button. you will be in gui . now you can install window manager

Hey thank you! next time for sure I'll be trying that. for now i just installed another os, Linux lite and its running flawlessly. Appreciate the help!

Members online

Latest posts