Can Connect via wireless but wired some site not reachable

ZennMystic

Reaction score
Credits
If I connect to the internet via wired eithernet cable firefox can not find some sites.... Like the Linux mint start page and a few others like Mozilla themes and and add-ons...

But if I connect via wireless I can connected to theses sites no problem...

What gives??

The machine is a Dell XPS 8300. I am running Linux Mint 20.1....

I have tried purging Firefox and reinstalling I have tried different cable.

I had thought it might be the cable/the card itself... but when I boot into windows everything seems to run fine... All sites are reachable.

So I donno what to do...

Choices right now are total reinstall of Linux or only enable wireless connection.

I would prefer not to reinstall.

Open a terminal
type inxi -Fxxn
go down the report , copy and paste the section titled network to here.

Network:
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network
Adapter
vendor: Dell Inspiron M5010 / XPS 8300 driver: wl v: kernel port: e000

not what i was expecting.
What i was expecting was something like this showing device 1 as pci- erhernet and device 2 as the wireless..

Network:
Device-1: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: sky2
v: 1.30 port: de00 bus ID: 09:00.0 chip ID: 11ab:4354
IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:a3:f6:4f
Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card driver: wl v: kernel port: de00
bus ID: 0c:00.0 chip ID: 14e4:4315
IF: wlp12s0 state: up mac: 1c:65:9d:32:f0:d5

seems its not recognising the ethernet....will do some digging around

the XPS range started in 2007, I have found several problems with Ethernet from 2010 onwards, but apart from one linux server all the others have been windows problems...
this is as far as I can get so now we wait for someone more apt at programming than me,

Bwiz

I appropriate all your effort and help though. I am fairly new to Linux and up until now I have been extremely happy with it. What a difference compared to windows.

I was hoping I could some how do a fresh install of the ethernet drivers But this is beyond me right now. As I said am a noob.

I think what I might just do is a fresh install of Linux.... But before I do this I do remember when I install it the first time I could not let it pick the default partition as it would not boot after. I can;t remember what I did (it was trial and error.) How do I make sure it installs on the same drive/partition again? It is duel boot with windows same drive different partition. I have trouble with Linux drive/folder lay out still to used to windows.

And lastly can any one recommend a free image/back software... Because after I do a fresh install I want to say burn to DVD. So if I ever need to re-install Linux again I can just write the image and boom done.

Might want to try in the terminal
Code:
inxi -Fx
copy and paste back results and
Code:
sudo lshw -class network

Members online