Can FreeDOS Be Used as a Daily Driver?

D

Deleted member 111282

One thing I can appreciate about Linux is it's flexibility. This is why it's been used in projects like embedded systems, servers, and even NASA missions. However, despite developments to make it a usable desktop OS, it was obviously never intended to be just that, which is one of the reasons why it will never de-thrown Windows. Don't get me wrong, FreeDOS would have an even harder time trying to de-thrown Windows, but at least it was made to be a desktop OS. Because of that, and because it's FOSS, I'm considering switching to it instead of to another distro. Being that it's compatible with the NT kernel, would that mean I'd have the support I'd normally get on Windows? Would I have to install an anti-virus program to protect my computer? Aside from the desktop environment most-likely going to look very dated, what downsides are there when using it? Is there Linux software that's compatible with it? How is the learning curve compared to Linux?

Eh ... nope. It isn't and never was.

That's out of the question then. Aside from FreeBSD (which is even less developed than Linux), there isn't another FOSS OS that can be used as a daily driver?

there isn't another FOSS OS that can be used as a daily driver?
That's your opinion. I've been using Linux as my daily driver for several years now, and I have no complaints; it does what I want the way I want to. You should install Windows or maybe a Mac OS. And I say that based on your continuing complaints about Linux not working for you; if it doesn't work for you, then you should try something else that does.

And I say that based on your continuing complaints about Linux not working for you
I can see how you interpreted it that way so I should've been more clear when wording what I said originally. Linux has come quite a bit of ways in terms of becoming a daily driver with the advent of flatpaks, Proton improving Linux gaming (although I'd still prefer physical releases for Linux), and ChromeOS being based on Gentoo. Not only that, but I've I had a clearer understanding of it for quite some time now (remember what I said Linux being standardized but not homogenized?), but most of what you can do on Windows or Mac is finally capable of being replicated on Linux. Mint may not necessarily work for me anymore, but there's always a better distro for me. That's a whole different topic compared to Windows still wiping the floor with Debian, Arch, and Gentoo, or my concerns about the kernel if the Linux Foundation ever ceases to exist.

Great idea if this was the 1990s but don't you know DOS is dead...all I can say is good luck with that.
happy0035.gif

Imagine if FreeDOS was the only OS available to Linux users...we'd all be using windwoes.
mad0016.gif

Linux has come quite a bit of ways in terms of becoming a daily driver
It has for some time now.
ChromeOS being based on Gentoo.
What? Nope, it isn't. Chromium OS does use portage, Gentoo's pkg manager, but it's built around the Linux kernel, just like any other distro, and so is Chrome OS.
but most of what you can do on Windows or Mac is finally capable of being replicated on Linux
Again, this has been the case for some time now.

Maybe if you're a writer who doesn't like computers :p

DOS is dead.
FreeDOS still has at least one use for some older linux machines. Some motherboards, older ones so far as I know, have manufacturer provided BIOS upgrades which can only be opened and applied using MS software. Running FreeDOS, on a usb as a live disk can accomplish it. Here's an example: https://opensource.com/article/17/6/upgrade-bios-freedos

At times i've been tempted to install free dos on a hard drive, just because i'm confident it will work automatically (it's been around for a long time and a relatively simple operating system), yet internet usage would be much more difficult.

I'm wondering, does the "help" command in DOS tell you everything?

Members online