Can I install Linux on new Laptop without first running Windows installer.

D

Deleted member 140690

Hi everyone.
I have a small Laptop on the way and want to install Linux on it.
It comes with Windows 10 Pro.
Can I skip the Windows 10 Set-Up stage and just go on to install Linux.

If I can, how will this effect Windows if I ever do decide to run windows,
will the windows installer insist on using the disc space already taken
by Linux.

I ask because looking at a thread on here reminded me of the time
I installed Linux, and Windows update always broke Grub, and I want
to avoid this, ever since I deleted windows after installing Linux and have
no idea if Windows update still breaks Grub.

You should be able to overwrite the complete drive by choosing the use whole disk option during installation
BUT don't forget to go into the BIOS first and disable windows quick start

If I can, how will this effect Windows if I ever do decide to run windows,
Windows usually overwrites grub when you install it [even if on a second internal drive] and will initiate fast start again

Thanks for posting guys.
I was hoping to leave windows in its uninstalled state,
and proceed to partition the SSD to install Linux on its
own plot, thinking I could go back to windows if required,
but not initially install / go through the windows set up.

I wonder would doing this over ride windows desire to
tamper with the boot loader, seeing as I did not actually
run the windows set up wizzard, thus no windows updates
should take place.

You can manually re-partition your disk and install Linux [the windows pre-install is inactive until you switch on]
NO guarantees, what I would try is put the ISO pen drive in the slot switch on whist tickling the BIOS key [depends on make and model] and dissable windows quick start, then as you tell bios to reboot start tickling the one time boot option key [again depends on make and model] select the USB pen drive to boot from, and hopefully it will ignore Windows and boot the Linux to try live mode, then you can hit the installation button and manually change the partitions. In theory this should work, but I have not done it myself, I automatically KILL Windows completely

Why not just purchase a different SSD and install Linux onto it.

Take the oem ssd with Windows OS on and store in a zip lock bag.

That's what I would do.
I so dislike opening up laptops, otherwise I would do that.
My last Acer Laptop was a dream to open as it had lids over
the modules, no need to remove the bottom, which was also
easy, not like this new cheapie, I could clone windows to an
external drive, and ten wipe it.

Or you could install it, take a note of the licence number and this keep safe [I don't think they put the licence number sticker on the machine any more.. mine didnt] then download and securely store your windows from Microsoft for future use [or if you get desperate]
and then install linux
;)

You can manually re-partition your disk and install Linux [the windows pre-install is inactive until you switch on]
NO guarantees, what I would try is put the ISO pen drive in the slot switch on whist tickling the BIOS key [depends on make and model] and dissable windows quick start, then as you tell bios to reboot start tickling the one time boot option key [again depends on make and model] select the USB pen drive to boot from, and hopefully it will ignore Windows and boot the Linux to try live mode, then you can hit the installation button and manually change the partitions. In theory this should work, but I have not done it myself, I automatically KILL Windows completely
I will experiment with the above, I will be disabling quick boot and secure boot in any event, usually helps with installs and only windows uses quick boot so it won't matter.
I ordered one of those Dynabook E10 laptops, no sign of it yet, am worried now they figured out they should not have sold it to a non student and are backtracking, next day delivery, should have been here.

am worried now they figured out they should not have sold it to a non student
Cash is king, you could be the grave digger to king tut, and they will still rather take your money

Or you could install it, take a note of the licence number and this keep safe [I don't think they put the licence number sticker on the machine any more.. mine didnt] then download and securely store your windows from Microsoft for future use [or if you get desperate]
and then install linux
;)
That would have been a wise thing to do before I kicked windows out of this one, it too had windows 10 pro, but as long as I have it on one device just in case, then am happy.
Can windows be run from a usb drive if cloned to one.

In theory yes, but Knowing M$ I have my doubts as the licence number is linked to the computer it's installed on, put it in another machine, and you will get [if you're lucky] a message saying illegal copy or they will just lock it up]

Microcrap will probably try to prevent me, who would have guessed
such a caring company would make life difficult for its customer.

When I got this machine W10 was pre-loaded, when I installed it sound would not work, so I signed on to M$ support forum, and after 2 weeks not one suggestion of how to get it working, except have you plugged your speakers in.

When I got this machine W10 was pre-loaded, when I installed it sound would not work, so I signed on to M$ support forum, and after 2 weeks not one suggestion of how to get it working, except have you plugged your speakers in.
Terrible support from M???t, but they have the masses brainwashed so they will survive, unfortunately.

I would run Windows first, connect it to the internet, and let it "activate" it's license with Microsoft (no need to record the product key). Later, if you reinstall Windows and connect to internet, Microsoft will recognize it and will activate automatically with a "digital license."

Also, while Windows is up and running, most big brands have a tool provided to create a "Recovery USB." If you have such a tool, use that to make your permanent recovery media.

If your laptop does not have such a tool, then while you still have Windows running, I would download the Windows Media Creation Tool and download the Windows 10 Pro ISO file (here) and use the Media Creation Tool to burn your own Win 10 Install USB. This is a very slow burning process, but I think it is the most reliable method.

Well I tried to install MX Linux to this newDynabook E10 Pro.
It was a struggle, I installed it the same as my last install, basically
default settings except I chose to use a free part of the SSD, all went
well, but windows would not let go, kept booting into recovery mode,
then said recovery failed, it did this every boot, so I re installed to the
whole drive, and no issues.
This is a device for education, the bios does not allow for a lot of options,
it completely refused to boot from the Lubuntu ISO.

Anyway, Mx is up and running, only issue i had was wifi connected
then half way through the install it disconnected.
I found the reason for this was simple, it tried to use WPA3,
I changed back to WPA2 and all is good.

So far, this dual core Celeron 4020 runs cooler than the quad core
Celeron 4120, no noticeable diffference in performance.

With 8GB Ram, its not using swap, so all the better for that.
And so far no pointer freezing like on the last one of these.
The power brick is 19 volts as opposed to 12 volts with the other one.
The keyboard has smaller keys but more of them, the track pad is also smaller.
Overall use, they do the same, only time will tell which one wins out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online