Can I play windows games on Linux mint cinnamon?

GLE3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, hoping I can hear from those with Linux experience as I've just started looking at it as an alternative to windows.. I have steam installed and updated my gtx 1060 drivers. Looking to play Blair witch using proton but not sure it's possible after checking the DB. Or maybe there's another non-windows way? Thanks in advance for any help!

im not too experienced but theres a linux program called wine that allows you to play widnows games/software on it. its supposed to work well, but if may need some configuring depending on the game software your playing/using.

i think it goes by name: wine-stable if you download from commandline

or visit this site:

Hi smooth_buddha,

I am returning to more regular use of Linux on a gaming laptop and in addition to what is available at WineHQ, someone I met in-game told me that Lutris is very useful in getting WoW 8.3+ to run under Mint. You might want to check it out.

The new gaming laptop I got late last year came with Windows 10 Pro which I have not given access to the internet until I can delete or disable most (all?) of the unwanted telemetry and crapware that comes with Windows 10. One or two articles I have read suggest that Windows 10 can be installed and run completely offline, albeit with significant extra work. [Rule: NEVER choose the default or "Recommended" installation method for any M$ product if there is an "Advanced" install option available.]

Since my experience with Linux on my own machines has been limited to using Ubuntu 4.1 to 10.4 LTS as a means of having a *nix platform when I did not have one at school or work. As a result I am very interested in other responses to your question.

Just about every kind of non-gaming software I need or want to use is available for Linux, including things such as Libre Office or Open Office, all kinds of software development tools, and a better set of system or network administration utilities than what is readily available for Windows platforms.

Hi smooth_buddha,

I am returning to more regular use of Linux on a gaming laptop and in addition to what is available at WineHQ, someone I met in-game told me that Lutris is very useful in getting WoW 8.3+ to run under Mint. You might want to check it out.

The new gaming laptop I got late last year came with Windows 10 Pro which I have not given access to the internet until I can delete or disable most (all?) of the unwanted telemetry and crapware that comes with Windows 10. One or two articles I have read suggest that Windows 10 can be installed and run completely offline, albeit with significant extra work. [Rule: NEVER choose the default or "Recommended" installation method for any M$ product if there is an "Advanced" install option available.]

Since my experience with Linux on my own machines has been limited to using Ubuntu 4.1 to 10.4 LTS as a means of having a *nix platform when I did not have one at school or work. As a result I am very interested in other responses to your question.

Just about every kind of non-gaming software I need or want to use is available for Linux, including things such as Libre Office or Open Office, all kinds of software development tools, and a better set of system or network administration utilities than what is readily available for Windows platforms.

yeah i agree linux is awesome. You can have the best of both worlds, run linux as main operating system and use progs like wine to play windows games on them!

Hi, hoping I can hear from those with Linux experience as I've just started looking at it as an alternative to windows.. I have steam installed and updated my gtx 1060 drivers. Looking to play Blair witch using proton but not sure it's possible after checking the DB. Or maybe there's another non-windows way? Thanks in advance for any help!

I have tried wine and other solutions such as VM's. They "sometimes" work but can be buggy.

To be honest if you have the disk space have a dual boot with Windows and Linux. Honestly its a sanity saver.

Your options are:

1. Linux, with Wine or Windows 10 in a virtual machine.

2. SteamOS - possible for quite a few games, but not many AAA titles. Though that will change as Microsoft continues to poop its pants and paint the walls.

3. ReactOS is an option but it's unlikely to work well at all, and probably not for a very long time.

Last edited:
It`s a powerful machine. So, you can play either Linux or Windows games on it.

This is one of the reasons why I still use Windows on my PC and Linux on my laptop. Wine is a bit tricky to use on Linux.

Bottom line, if the game maker does not make a version that natively runs on Linux, then you need either an emulator, such as Wine, or a VM. Neither one is going to give you a superb gaming experience. Bigger, faster, cheaper - pick two.

Members online