Can I really replace Windows with Linux?

I dont think so,if you love game ,you should get away from linux!!!!:(

I dont think so,if you love game ,you should get away from linux!!!!:(
This is not true at all. Steam for Linux has tons of titles. 70% of my steam collection is ported to Linux with more and more being added. And now GLG has Linux ports. Gaming on Linux is starting to pickup.

You absolutely can, however there will be some slight issues you may run in too. Find your favourite distro and spend some time on it BEFORE swapping over. And when you do finally swap over, all I can say is enjoy! You are in for some fun times tinkering :)

This is not true at all. Steam for Linux has tons of titles. 70% of my steam collection is ported to Linux with more and more being added. And now GLG has Linux ports. Gaming on Linux is starting to pickup.
Wow...... I love LOL ,But I can't play LOL in Linux!

To everyone,

I totally recommend Spatry's Cup of Linux channel - he has great reviews and tutorials about Linux related things.
Just started looking at his videos, he has some great ones there! Thanks for the info mate!

Yep followed Spatry for along time he has some great info to share.

that is an issue I wanted more information on. When I used dos (Remember dos 1.0, or the timex-sinclair ZX-81?) I used Norton speed disk to defrag my drives. Is this necessary in Linux? If so, what utility do I need?
Eh, I was born in '91, so I don't remember using most of that stuff..... :\ (Though I DO have DOS installed in Virtualbox..... :) )

Eh, I was born in '91, so I don't remember using most of that stuff..... :\ (Though I DO have DOS installed in Virtualbox..... :) )
That's alright, mate! I won't hold it against you. we all had to start somewhere. The point is that after windows hit the scene, all the people who were scared to death of the dos command line flocked to it like lemmings and fell into the microsoft sea. I still have a copy of dos 1.0 around here somewhere (I just know it!). LMAO.

That's alright, mate! I won't hold it against you. we all had to start somewhere. The point is that after windows hit the scene, all the people who were scared to death of the dos command line flocked to it like lemmings and fell into the microsoft sea. I still have a copy of dos 1.0 around here somewhere (I just know it!). LMAO.
Ha!..... :D I can guess that some people were sick of White letters and a Black background, to be sure..... :) I prefer a GUI, but, I do use TTY from time to time..... ;) Yeah, we ALWAYS have something special hidden somewhere..... XD

The question for me would not be how to replace M$ Windows, but how to replace MAC O$ on genuine apple hardware (MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display Late 2013). Unfortunately for me, as far as I know, there is no Linux driver for my network hardware (Wireless AC). If it wasn't for this, Linux would be the sole OS running on it.
The only reason I purchased a Macintosh was to avoid getting Windows viruses. But now with the proprietary $andbox-style OS, I'm quite frustrated that I can't run a Linux distro with proper networking.

Or, you can do as I have for many years, and use a drive caddy. I have one for windows, and one for linux. I use both on the same hardware, and don't need to worry about dual booting

I gave drive caddies a quick look just now on ebay & tiger direct. I can see the need for more reading on that...

The live CD/DVD or bootable USB flash drive is a great way to kick the tires and to try out different linux distros before you install anything to a hard drive. You can even install a full blown linux distro on a USB flash drive, thereby enabling you to save files, browser bookmarks & history, etc. This option will run noticably slower than it would on your hard drive.

While I was first looking into linux I used an old PC as my classroom, installed Debian 6.07 "Squeeze" along-side Windows (dual boot) and was very soon enchanted with linux. Did some distro hopping, checking out Ubuntu, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Puppy Linux, even Damn Small Linux, or DSL. Before long, I decided to wipe Windows from the hard drive on that old PC by reinstalling Debian as the stand-alone OS. I knew I wouldn't miss Windows 98.

For the other, not quite so old PC, I ordered a spare hard drive from ebay - $25 US - and installed Debian on it. A victim of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt), and still new to linux, I wasn't ready to dump Windows XP on that machine. Seems laughable now, but I eventually dumped XP before Microsoft dumped all XP users several months ago.

So if you don't mind a little tinkering and can spare a few dollars, installing linux on a spare hard drive is a good option.

I have repeated the spare drive option with two laptops (these drives cost more). The idea was to have Windows fully isolated from linux in case I made some kind of newbie mistake. In 5 minutes, I can change hard drives and OS'es. The irony is I very rarely even use Windows anymore. I've become completely disenchanted with Windows and Microsoft.

Whichever way you chose to look into linux, I hope you have fun with it.

tex

An ugly fat bastard with a portfolio of patents tucked under his sweaty armpit, closely followed around by a team of lawyers...

flunwyc and DevynCJohnson,

Your "fat bastard" comments literally caused me to (l)augh (o)ut (l)oud.

Funny! Couldn't agree more...

tex

Ok so I can browse the web, do email and a bit of word processing but can I really do all I do in Windows 7 Ultimate with all my software and hardware using Linux?

Here's some of what I do that I don't think I could do in Linux ;
Gaming with all latest releases including flight sims using joysticks, flight controllers, PSX pads etc
Graphics using Adobe photoshop and all other Adobe products etc
Video editing using Adobe premiere
Multi-track music recording using DAW Reaper with USB pro sound cards

And comments welcome.

Cheers
yes ofcourse you can easily switch from Windows to Linux as long as you know how to work in Linux OS

View attachment 504 Or you can do what I do and run Windows 7 Enterprise in a VM(Virtual Machine) using VMware player for Linux. I boot up a Win7 Enterprise VM on top of my Fedora Linux laptop's desktop to run Windows 7 and log into my company's VPN to access and use corporate Windows based resources, apps and tools such as SharePoint, which I need to perform my job.

However, I have been able to replace all of my personal stuff using Linux without much effort, between using Linux based apps that do the same job which I have been doing with Linux on all 28 of my home computers for over 20 years! I used to do mutli-OS boots 20-some years ago, but have found just leaving my 'puter running Linux and booting a Windows VM as needed is a the way better way to go!

I LOVE and LIVE LINUX!!! :p~~~
I like the enthusiasm and having 28 rams hdw is a network.

Ha!..... :D I can guess that some people were sick of White letters and a Black background, to be sure..... :) I prefer a GUI, but, I do use TTY from time to time..... ;) Yeah, we ALWAYS have something special hidden somewhere..... XD
That is why ASCII escape codes are important. I know DOS used ANSI but it still had escape codes.

Staff online