Can I use a NVME SSD ?

I see it now. Strange that it's not mentioned in the specifications of the board on Asrock's website, with most motherboards I have come across it's usually mentioned in the specifications.

I do not have a stand alone video card, so there will be no space dramas.

What (if anything) holds the nvme card ?....are they so light that they will support themselves ?

@Fanboi & @f33dm3bits

m2 number 1.png
Number 1

m2 number 2.png
Number 2

Which is it ?
Number 1 does not actually have a "hole/plug" for the nvme to go into.....there is no 'hole' in the board.

Number 2 does have a plug to push the nvme into

Also in the specs, there is a red asterisk beside
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1: x16 mode; PCIE4: x4 mode)*
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots (Flexible PCIe)
- Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™

*Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

??

Last edited:
@Condobloke It's Number 2. You slot it in horizontally and secure it with a tiny screw (usually included). You will notice 3 raised holes along a perfect line. It screws into one (usually the last) and rests on the others. Some boards include cushioning. Will add image...

IMG_20211003_134429.png

It is of interest just exactly why that slot is not mentioned in the specs.......yet the pcie1 slot is.

Using the pcie1 slot would of course require using an adapter

Curiouser and curiouser !!!

LOL How does one not know they've got an M.2 slot on their board? :D

It's okay. We've all overlooked stuff. All of us.

One does not know quite easily.

Read the specs @KGIII ....do you see mention of a M.2 slot anywhere ?

Read the specs @KGIII ....do you see mention of a M.2 slot anywhere ?

Ah, I was under the impression that you'd looked at your MoBo and not noticed the slot.

And, even if you did, don't sweat it. The other day, I overlooked the cap sitting right next to the hole (presumably) and drove my tractor without a fuel cap in place. Try as I might, I can't find it. Now I have to wait for the tractor supply store to order one, 'cause they don't have spares in stock.

Pics....one of the nvme card, one of the PCIE2 slot

upclose1.png

bus.end nvme card.png

m2 number 1.png

Which is it ?
Number 1 does not actually have a "hole/plug" for the nvme to go into.....there is no 'hole' in the board.

Number 2 does have a plug to push the nvme into

It's rather economical for motherboard manufacturers to produce nearly identical boards... just adding options on different models to increase the price. I think you can see this pretty clearly with your board, Brian. Scroll down to the Slots and Storage sections on links below for details.
ASRock B150M Pro4
ASRock B150M Pro4/D3
ASRock B150M Pro4/Hyper (the only one with a M.2 socket included)

I'm not very up-to-date on "modern" hardware, but it's worth reading up on the technologies that you are pursuing, and Wikipedia is usually a good source.
M.2
PCIe
NVMe

The Wikipedia info reveals that NVMe devices can be packaged in several form factors, including PCIe and the M.2 SSD type that you show above. And specifically, that is a "M key" edge connector (with 5 pins on the short side) in your picture.

Will you need an adapter to use the M.2 NVMe drive? Absolutely. I don't like using adapters, but sometimes they are necessary. And which one? (That's why I don't like them!) I would only say to be sure that both connections, M.2 (M key) and PCIe, will match (or be compatible with) your system.

Just for a couple of examples (that may or may not match your system)... here is one that stays suspended in the PCIe socket without any mounting hardware to hold it in place. This should be fine in a desktop that doesn't get bumped around since these edge connectors are quite snug. But this one only has a 3.5 star rating with very few reviews, though it's cheap and it looks like it would fit the socket in your pictures. Here is another with 4.5 stars and many more reviews, but it is designed to reach from your PCIe socket to the back of the case for better mounting. Here's one more designed to reach the back of the case for mounting.

This is the adapter you listed in your first post. It shows unavailable to me, but maybe because I'm not in Australia? Anyway, please do note the difference in the PCIe edge connector. That is totally different from the picture you showed us. The ad says this is a PCIe x4 edge connector.

Lastly, let me remind you of this:
Also in the specs, there is a red asterisk beside
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1: x16 mode; PCIE4: x4 mode)*
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots (Flexible PCIe)
- Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™

*Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
Again, your adapter must match (or be compatible with) your system, and this bit is telling us that not all of the PCIe slots will work to boot your NVMe drive. Look over your board again carefully, check the user manual if it will help... but try to be sure which PCIe is the one that supports NVMe, and match that connector when you buy an adapter.

Your specs show 2 each of PCIe 3.0 x16 and PCIe 3.0 x1. As I'm digging on the internet, the x1 is the shorter socket you show in the pictures, and that likely will NOT boot your NVme. The adapter that I linked to above, the one that just stays suspended in the socket without mounting hardware... the ad for it says that it will fit in x1, x4, x8, or x16 sockets. That's encouraging. Watch for that as you shop around... you need the adapter to be compatible with the x16 socket (slot) on the motherboard and the M.2 (M key) NVMe. By the way, PCIe 4.0 is backward compatible with PCIe 3.0, if you notice that while shopping.

[EDIT] But wait, there's more! ;) Take a peek at this article. It explains the difference between x1, x4, x8, and x16... the number of data lines. Your NVMe may boot in either Slot 1 (x16 mode) or in Slot 4 (x4 mode). The slots will look the same, I think, but I would guess here that Slot 1 (x16 mode) is the preferred one. More data lines = more speed... maybe. In truth, though, it may not make a difference which one you use of these two slots. [/EDIT]

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
The M.2 drive should slide in and fit snug. Also there should be a small screw to hold down the drive at the end of the drive itself.

If you have to get a magnifying glass and look at the small print on the board.

Last edited:
EZDIY-FAB NVME PCIe Adapter, M.2 NVME SSD to PCI Express Adapter with Heat Sink Support PCIe x4 x8 x16 Slot,Support M.2 SSD 2230 2242 2260 2280
^^^^^...this means that this particular adapter will fit either the x4, x8 or x16 slots........which in my case means that the PCIE1 slot is suitable....or the PCIE4 slot is suitable. It will hold the 2230,2242,2260,or 2280 card (22mm x 60mm etc etc )......the samsung card is 22mmx x 80mm

In that scenario, the PCIE1 slot would be my choice.

I would prefer the adapter that reaches the end of the case and is therefore more solidly mounted, but as you say the desktop does not get bashed around/dropped etc so it should be ok

The
ampcom card only supports PCIE4.....I prefer the pcie1 slot to be used.

The sinloon card the ad for it says that it will fit in x1, x4, x8, or x16 sockets. That's encouraging. Watch for that as you shop around.

HAD A POWER FAILURE...SOMEHOW THIS GOT POSTED. IGNORE IT.

i HAVE ADDED TO IT AT POST#36

Last edited:
EZDIY-FAB NVME PCIe Adapter, M.2 NVME SSD to PCI Express Adapter with Heat Sink Support PCIe x4 x8 x16 Slot,Support M.2 SSD 2230 2242 2260 2280
Duh... how did I miss the others? Cool. Looks like a winner. ;)

You don't put it there. It goes the
Your picture, and Brian's picture too, both show that there is no socket there to receive the SSD. Those are empty solder pads... where the socket would be on the Pro4/Hyper model. You can see circuit traces between the rows of pads on Brian's pic (and your other pics in posts #20 and #24)... those would be hidden if the plastic housing of the M2 connector was present. I think that Brian has the basic Pro4 motherboard. Here again are the ASRock factory specs that show the first 2 models do not have an M2 capability (in Storage section of the specs):

ASRock B150M Pro4
ASRock B150M Pro4/D3
ASRock B150M Pro4/Hyper (the only one with a M.2 socket included)

There may even be more B150M Pro4 models than these. I stopped looking by this point. (Oops. @arochester showed B150M Pro4S in post #2.... it also has no M2 slot in the specs.)

Cheers

Last edited:
What a bloody mess. Ignore all that stuff up above in post #33

I think.... PCIE1 with the EZDIY adapter will do the trick.

The m2 connection point that Fanboi is pointing to in the above pic is not a plug in point...as Stan said it is a dry socket....there is nothing there to plug into

Therefore the "plugging in" has to occur in either pcie1 or pcie4.......as pcie1 is 16 lanes and pcie4 is 4 lanes......and the plug in has to be via an adapter. (
ezdiy etc)

SO.....am I right !!???......or Am I right ????

Note to all concerned.

1. Condobloke is always right

2. When in doubt refer to rule 1

I'm too rusty at this stuff. I bought a M2 SSD awhile back and an external case w/USB connector. Yes, you might have guessed... it was the wrong case. I thought I had it nailed down too, but nope. It's no fun to niggle over these details, but it's good to get the correct part.

Getting the wrong part would drive me nuts.

I know I can return them but doing that from 700+ kilopmeters north of Sydney is a time consuming process and I am an impatient wretch !

I think the simplest solution is the better way to go.

The ezdiy adapter has good feedback.

Members online