[Resolved] Can NOT copy from Ubuntu to Linux(VirtualBox)

Bear

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys, I have a problem with my Ubuntu. My laptop is using Ubuntu. I had installed Linux Lite in Virtual Box. I can use cache for them,copy text no problem. But only Link, I can't copy. I mean if I copy link from Chrome's address box(Ubuntu) to Linux, it is impossible. Then I had to copy link to note then from note I can copy to Linux.
So anyone can help me? Thanks so much.

Hi guys, I have a problem with my Ubuntu. My laptop is using Ubuntu. I had installed Linux Lite in Virtual Box. I can use cache for them,copy text no problem. But only Link, I can't copy. I mean if I copy link from Chrome's address box(Ubuntu) to Linux, it is impossible. Then I had to copy link to note then from note I can copy to Linux.
So anyone can help me? Thanks so much.
Oh my.... Have I had this problem. :( I'm surprised that you even got Data to be copied to the VM! :) I never got as far very often..... :( But, from what it sounds like, you want to copy a URL from Google Chrome to a Web Browser like Firefox in the VM. Am I right? :) And when you mention "note", do you mean a Text Editor? :)

Oh my.... Have I had this problem. :( I'm surprised that you even got Data to be copied to the VM! :) I never got as far very often..... :( But, from what it sounds like, you want to copy a URL from Google Chrome to a Web Browser like Firefox in the VM. Am I right? :) And when you mention "note", do you mean a Text Editor? :)
Sr for my bad. I mean I cannot copy link from chrome(Ubuntu) to chrome(VM) unless I copy from Chrome(ubuntu) to Text editor then from Text to Chrome (VM)

Sr for my bad. I mean I cannot copy link from chrome(Ubuntu) to chrome(VM) unless I copy from Chrome(ubuntu) to Text editor then from Text to Chrome (VM)
Hmmmm..... Have you tried enabling Drag And Drop from Host to Guest? :) Also, you may want to look into VMWare, as that is a viable alternative, and is free for home use. :)

VMware only gives a 30 day trial. Then you have to pay $$. Another ( IMHO "better" ) option is Proxmox server. https://www.proxmox.com/en/ (PVE) As you say, VirrtualBox's GUI doesn't let you copy and paste between the VM and the host computer with the default GUI interface. You can do things like use PuTTY to SSH to the VM, then you can copy and paste text, but there still is no GUI. Advanced users can setup a VNC server on the VM, then use the host computer with a VNC client.

Last edited:
VMware only gives a 30 day trial. Then you have to pay $$.
I've never used it, but VMware's "Workstation Player" for Windows/Linux is indeed free for personal use, as @blackneos940 suggested (see below). For the OP's problem, I wonder if installing the VirtualBox "guest additions" would fix the issue of copying between the host and guest?

vmware.jpg

Clipboard is actually more complexe than what is looks like. When you copy a link from your hypervisor's chrome address bar there's a chance that its not raw text that is being put into the clipboard but a more complexe object (a link or whatever). When you copy from your text editor it is probably a raw text object. Virtual Box might not be able to forward complex clipboard objects to the VM.

I wonder if installing the VirtualBox "guest additions" would fix the issue of copying between the host and guest?

I doesn't make any difference for me.

Hmmmm..... Have you tried enabling Drag And Drop from Host to Guest? :) Also, you may want to look into VMWare, as that is a viable alternative, and is free for home use. :)
I did, but It's not worked.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-10-10 17-23-25.png
    Screenshot from 2019-10-10 17-23-25.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 635
Thanks for posting that @Bear that info will no doubt prove valuable to others installing virtual box.

Thanks. I installed GA. But it's still not work. But I already resolved this problem. My Virtual Box Ver is 6.0, I downgraded to 5.2 and it worked :D

Glad to hear you solved you problem.

There are plenty of bugs that look alike reported on the VirtualBox bug tracker. The problem seems to disappear on some versions and come back on others... I'll check this out.

Thanks. I installed GA. But it's still not work. But I already resolved this problem. My Virtual Box Ver is 6.0, I downgraded to 5.2 and it worked :D
Well, go figure! :) Turns out that OpenBSD's philosophy is right.... Latest is not always the greatest. :)

That's very true, Adam :)

It's also worth noting that if you download and install the Guest Additions .iso for use with VB, that its version matches that of VB. So if you downgrade VB from 6 to 5.2, you want to downgrade or install a 5.2 of the Guest Additions to avoid incompatibilities.

Cheers all

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online

Members online