Can you please advice me a distro for my requirements? Ty very much!

M

Mitizaro

Hello dear Linux Forum,
I would like to make the disclaimer that i'm nto a small boy and no one owes me *. I know most of you have jobs an problems on your own.
I post here to get some additional info - i gather some on my own.
Looking for the best LIGHTEST yet sill user-friendly and media-usabale distro for my specs:

AMD at 2,3ghrz overclocked (NOT a true overclock - no voltage has been upped, only some mhz) - to the point of 2,5GHZ speed equivillent
1,3GB Ram (2x512 and 1x256 - the 512s are not bridged)
Nvidia GeForce FX5900Zt video card
Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 with creative 2.1 speakers attatched to my PC (if i can get ieas on amazing equalizer/software here i would love it!)
17" LG FlatronSlim monitor with 1280x1024@75hz optimal resolution.

I want to be able to browse with multiple tabs and watch youtube. To have the basics you know - notepad, cd burner, video program - nothing to fancy. Desktop einviorment, nothing un-stanart.
I want it fast - the number one priority is to have all the STANDART functionallity like flas 10.8 (cuz 11 is buggy on me, but 10 does the job) and to do all the multi-tasking and operations FAST.

I've had here Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Debian, Puppy, LegendaryOS4, Slitaz, MacPup, VectorLinux 7.0 and maybe some more.
I'm most pleased with Puppy Linux 5.6 Slackware based (Slacko) - i use Non-pae even though i have never trie PAE version.

However i was pleasently surprised with SLITAZ - but i cant seem to install it to stay permenantly on my machine (save files??).
Also VectorLInux 7.0 was truly beautiful - but no flash was running there for me so half the youtube was unaccesable. Also was a bit buggy if i remember well.

THis is not emergency. However i'm sure that among so many gifted hackers and programmers someone will have much better ideas than me. :)

Edited by @ryanvade (reason: cursing)

Last edited:

I would recommend Lubuntu for fast. Or #!. Or Arch if you have the time and want to learn. Maybe Xubuntu or rubuntu (Ubuntu with Razor-QT)

Attachments

• Rubuntu.png
    Rubuntu.png
    330.2 KB · Views: 1,171
Back to the OP. He said, "I've had here Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Debian, Puppy, LegendaryOS4, Slitaz, MacPup, VectorLinux 7.0 and maybe some more."

Stick with Slacko 5.7.0 then if you like it the best.

I just saw another Puppy derivative called LegacyOS at distrowatch. Also, check out LinuxLite -- basically a non-Canonical xubuntu geared towards newbie gamers. The new Salix 14.1 XFCE may be of interest to you, as well.

I've been avoiding to suggest Ubuntu distributions to newbies. Manjaro is something like Arch's mint (except that Mint is often considered better than official Ubuntu releases, whereas Arch's definitely better than Manjaro, which sure is better than Mint). Sabayon, based on Gentoo, is just great, I'm almost leaving Arch for it.

Thank you very much to all of you. Linux Lite and Salix are going to be checked.

I have had LegacyOS 4.0 - its awesome, but old in terms of graphics and apps (puppy is better).

Lubuntu 11.-something lags a bit. Yes it does. :)
If you have some tricky version that works best/is really light - shoot up idea!

Rubuntu is some interesting thing i will have to check, but it seems like unofficial Russian Underground Remix and i'm kinda eeeh... about it - simply because i could find it solid for download (will check for more) :).

I don't have the time for Arch.

The puppy is nice, but kinda troublesome from time to time with this live boot.
I might install real Slackware??

Manjaro seems heavier than what i can handle. I

Sabayon i will check too!!

I do realize my desires and PC are quite not standart. I will be switching in the near future to a LapTop that will be powerful... but i dont know how soon.
It will be Windows based (a working laptop, not just personal one) -- but if i had to put linux it would be latest Mint or Ubuntu - no doubt here. Or maybe Debian.

I still want to put something because this PC here will not get upgraded -- and it still works with my wonderful LG HQ 17" FlatronSlim, so i want it "packed up" for back-up use at any time, even if i have laptop.

Again -thanks to everyone, will check the distros - if you have more ideas - COME AT ME, BRO!

Thank you very much to all of you. Linux Lite and Salix are going to be checked.

I have had LegacyOS 4.0 - its awesome, but old in terms of graphics and apps (puppy is better).

Lubuntu 11.-something lags a bit. Yes it does. :)
If you have some tricky version that works best/is really light - shoot up idea!

Rubuntu is some interesting thing i will have to check, but it seems like unofficial Russian Underground Remix and i'm kinda eeeh... about it - simply because i could find it solid for download (will check for more) :).

I don't have the time for Arch.

The puppy is nice, but kinda troublesome from time to time with this live boot.
I might install real Slackware??

Manjaro seems heavier than what i can handle. I

Sabayon i will check too!!

I do realize my desires and PC are quite not standart. I will be switching in the near future to a LapTop that will be powerful... but i dont know how soon.
It will be Windows based (a working laptop, not just personal one) -- but if i had to put linux it would be latest Mint or Ubuntu - no doubt here. Or maybe Debian.

I still want to put something because this PC here will not get upgraded -- and it still works with my wonderful LG HQ 17" FlatronSlim, so i want it "packed up" for back-up use at any time, even if i have laptop.

Again -thanks to everyone, will check the distros - if you have more ideas - COME AT ME, BRO!
Manjaro is actually light depending on the flavor (Desktop Environment) you choose. I tend to suggest non-ubuntu for newbies nowadays because arch, slackware and gentoo based distros, for instance, are simply much faster, almost always lighter and will make a better impression on GNU/Linux newcomers.

Staff online